No announcement yet.

Generator to alternator Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator to alternator Conversion.

I am switching my 60 over to an alternator and have some questions for those that have done this. I am using a 65 T-Bird alternator and the terminals on the back of the alternator are labeled Gnd, Bat, Fld, and A. I am using a voltage regulator that Pat Wilson's recommended and supplied. The stock voltage regulator has two sets of thick yellow wires connected to it. I cant figure out where they go on the new regulator and where they go on the alternator. What does the A terminal mean and what is it for? I know this is an easy swap but I can't seem to be able to figure it out. I looked at some diagrams I found on the internet but none for the T-Bird. Can anyone help? Thanks
    Rick
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Generator to alternator Conversion.

The A stands for Armature. In both generators and alternators there is a field and armature. In the generator, the armature revolves while in the alternator the field revolves.

The current issue of Auto Restorer has an article on generator to alternator conversions.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

If the armeture is stationary could it also be called the stator?
      Some alternators have a terminal labeled sta. Thanks
      Rick

Comment

• KULTULZ

Maybe This Will Help

The alternator charging harness is separate but combined with the engine main harness. If the '65 BIRD is still available, you might want to remove the orional harness and plumb it in on yours or make a new harness from it. Just be careful to use the same guage of wires.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Yes, the armature in most alternators can be called a stator, though there are alternators that have rotating armatures. These rotating armature alternators have a low power rating and are not used in automobiles.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

RE: Maybe This Will Help

Thanks fellas,
            I spoke with Ken at Pat Wilsons today and he hooked me up. The two thick yellow wires on the old regulator need to be spliced together and connected to the A terminal of the new regulator.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎