Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW & WHERE DOES THE JACK MOUNT IN THE TRUNK?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW & WHERE DOES THE JACK MOUNT IN THE TRUNK?

I have just replaced the trunk material in my 1960 Bird. I know that the jack base and T-handle screw mount in the center of the spare tire and screw into the tire well bracket, but where does the bumper jack/bumper holder and tire tool mount?

Did the hardtops originally have jacking instruction sheets pasted to the trunk lid? My car has original paint/insulation on inner trunk lid and no size of instruction sheet.

Did the hardtops originally come with spare tire covers? my car had original trunk mating material and has a very old tire cover.
    Thanks
    Bill
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: HOW & WHERE DOES THE JACK MOUNT IN THE TRUNK?

The bumper jack goes directly behind the tire and is held down by the tire.

Squarebird owners are real men. We don't need no stinkin jackin' instructions. The never was a sticker.

I don't think there was a cover on the spare tire from the factory, but you can get one to match your mat.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Alexander. I aggree with your comment about the jacking instructions. But odd that they where not included for the ladies and Aggies.

Comment

Hey. I agree there wasn't a spare cover from the factory. And the spare was reversed so the bolt would reach the threads. I have to say although I don't want to. I looked in the trunk of a 60 in apr.61 (had to find the leak) I'm going to put the grandkids in there to find the leak on mine. Merry Christmas...........Bill

Comment

• sunnybob
          Apprentice
          • Jan 29 2012

What about the 60 convertible? Any image, please?
          Lake cruisers

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It should mount in the back centered above the hump for the gas filler. The last '60 convertible I owned had a hook there and a long spring that held it against the back. I'll see if I can find a picture. It also may make a difference whether you have a late or early serial number as the jack was moved around quite a bit over the years. My '59 convertible has it mounted to the side. There's a picture in William Wonder's Thunderbird Restoration Guide but it is rather dark (at least in my copy). Maybe someone has a clearer picture.

I found a picture that should give you a general idea where it mounts. You can just barely see it mounted to the back between the two trunk lid pistons.

John
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jopizz; November 26, 2012, 06:37 PM.
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sunnybob
              Apprentice
              • Jan 29 2012

Jo, thank you. In my trunk there is a hook that seems a tire tool mount between the pistons but something is missing (there are some holes)... I hope somebody else has other pics with a better view .

Edit....my Tbird is an early model (production sept '59)
              Last edited by sunnybob; November 27, 2012, 05:51 AM.
              Lake cruisers

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The hook is where the long spring connects to. It's not for a tool. Here's a picture of my '59. Even though the location will be different on your '60 you can see how the spring goes over the jack and loops onto the hook. You should have two holes where the ends of the spring screw into.

John
                Attached Files
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sunnybob
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 29 2012

Thank you John!!..I see.. so I don't miss a hook but I miss the long spring!!!
                  Lake cruisers

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎