Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ford uses 6VDC for their gauges. Well, not exactly. The CVR cycles battery voltage at a 50% duty cycle like a turn signal flasher. That means the gauges are on half the time and off half the time. It's not an exact science but there is a better alternative, the solid state CVR. It outputs six volts all the time.

When your car is running it is also charging the battery at 13.5-Volts (or so). Your meter should pick up this voltage under normal running conditions. This is the time when we pay attention to gauges.

It should be noted that solid grounds and tight connections are of parount importance at every device and at every connection. The gas tank needs a good ground, the CVR needs a good ground, and the engine needs a good ground. Modern cars run separate ground wires to each device. That's what I do as well, because if you depend on old rusty, 50-yr-old spot welds through twenty feet of steel makes no sense.

The previous posts explain how to adjust your OEM gauge devices.

Sorry to hear you do not know if your stalling issue is resolved. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Dave

I regret now not putting an additional earth on the fuel tank when I had it out. Is it still possible (as in safe) to do this when it's in the car?

Also, the solid state CVRs I've been looking at have an output of 5.1 volts. Is this within range?

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Solid State CVR's

Hi Mark, The RT-Engineering IVR3 is the unit that is used in our Tbird. I have been running one for about 3 years now with no problems and other Tbird owners are using it also. Clicking on this link below will give you more information about it. Including that it provides a constant 5V to the gauges. If it senses an input voltage of less than 9V and more than 18V, it will shut itself off, or if it detects a short in the line. This link will give you more information about it. As far as I am concerned, it is the way to go. If you want more information about it, check the TRL section on the CVR unit.

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_limiter

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hi Ray. Yes, I think I will go that way. I checked up on the website for and IVR3. The unit is $50 and they want $30 for postage. Ouch! I think that's a bit excessive given the size of the thing.

Once I know the CVR is working as it should, I'll make sure the engine is running at the correct temperature. I can then calibrate the fuel and temp gauges.

Regards
          Mark

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Mark, this part is a VERY common part, used on every Ford since 1957, nearly to date. That's many millions of cars. Do you belong to a car club in Oz? If not, I strongly urge you to look up a few just to see if the blokes are right. They would know where to have work done and where to buy parts. It kills me to see you spend so much on freight from the US.

You can still run a ground wire from your tank. Just drill a small hole in one of the corners, well back from the seam weld. There is plenty of metal. Simply crimp a ring terminal to a copper wire and bolt it to the tank corner. Then, mount the wire to your sub-frame or into the trunk area.

- Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Dave, thanks for that information on the fuel tank earth. I'll get to it as soon as I can. As to the other matter, I'm a member of the Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia as well as a couple of other car clubs. The guys in the club have been very helpful with advice. Unfortunately none of them lives anywhere near me and so the mechanics they have recommended are a long way off. I do have a lead on a local guy who is away until February so I'll check him out.

As to parts, most of the local T-Bird owners recommend buying from the States unless you are in a real hurry. The few local T-Bird parts vendors are very pricey. For example, before I pulled the fuel tank I had a quote from a supplier in Victoria (about 500 miles away) for $350 plus freight. I could have bought a Canadian made tank on Ebay (US) for $187 plus around $90 freight. That's $277 compared to around $400.

For bigger items my best option is to use the importer who brought my car from the States. He lets me send things to his warehouse in California and then he puts them in the container when he brings cars over. The cost is more reasonable but I have to wait about 2 months. My preferred option is to jump on a plane, take a holiday, drop in and say g'day to some of you blokes and buy the parts myself. Of course, this may not happen for a while....

Speaking of which, Julia and I are off on a 10 day cruise to New Zealand tomorrow and so it will all be waiting for me when I get back.

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Hey Scumdog, did'ja hear that? Mark's comin to knock up the Kiwis tomorrow. Maybe you can hook up over a narley jar of Foster's, eh? Give'em your number ASAP. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

And so it begins...help!

From the looks of the map, Tom lives in the landlocked area of Balclutha, Otago in New Zealand. Not many cruise ships stop there from the looks of it! So there would not be much of a chance to meet unless their cruise ship docks at Dunedin, or Invercargill. But if ya have a chance to do so, Tom, it is a great chance to meet a fellow Birder. I know that I enjoyed my opportunity to meet Wolfgang and Ingrid from Germany a couple of weeks ago, and they enjoyed seeing my city. For many years I was the head of an international Ham Radio Club (Six Meter International Radio Klub - SMIRK) and often had visiting members of the Klub from around the world come visit me on their visits to my country. My wife and I had many fond memories of time spent with fellow members from Down Under, Japan, and other parts of the world. So, if ya get the chance, Tom, take it. Especially if they dock at Balclutha! LMBO... Click on the - sign to get a better view of where Balclutha is located...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&su...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Nice sentiment Ray. Just a last look at the forum before I leave for the boat (ship, I mean). We are stopping at Port Chalmers near Dunedin for a day but I don't know which day because we've been delayed and the itinerary has changed due to bad weather. This should be interesting...

We are on the Pacific Pearl. I'd love to catch up with a fellow T-Birder but I appreciate that people have to work and plans don't always work out.

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Griffin
                      Nice sentiment Ray. Just a last look at the forum before I leave for the boat (ship, I mean). We are stopping at Port Chalmers near Dunedin for a day but I don't know which day because we've been delayed and the itinerary has changed due to bad weather. This should be interesting...

We are on the Pacific Pearl. I'd love to catch up with a fellow T-Birder but I appreciate that people have to work and plans don't always work out.

Cheers
                      Mark
                      Hey Mark, keep in contact via Squarebirds - I live about 100km from Port Chalmers and who knows, I MAY be able to get to meet you for a bit (depending on work, family commitments etc etc!)

Tom
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

And so it begins...help!

Hi Tom, it sounds like their cruise itinerary has changed due to the weather conditions. What you might be able to do is to check with Port Chalmers to see if they can give you the date of the arrival of the Pacific Pearl cruise ship. Here is the numbers for the ship also. Calling from New Zealand: Telephone: 00 870 323 489 014 or 00 870 601 027 260. The note says this can be expensive to do though. I am trying to find the information on this cruise for you from the Princess Pearl Cruise Line website. However, I have not found a 5-10 cruise to New Zealand listed today, or in the next few days. Not until later on in February. I am assuming they are leaving from Sydney. Using their Cruise Finder web page, I could not find that cruise. Port Chalmers should be able to tell you though when the ship is due in. I hope ya'll can meet up!

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacru...owResults=true

http://www.pocruises.com.au/ourships...ificpearl.aspx

Comment

Hi Tom. We are still in port in Sydney. We should be leaving today. We will be in Port Chalmers on Sunday 3 February. It would be great to catch up if possible. Let's see how it goes. I'll be staying touch via the forum. By the way; great detective work Ray.

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

And so it begins...help!

I am glad that ya'll will be staying in touch on the Forum. Since you are scheduled to be in Port Chalmers on next Sunday, this might work out, if Tom is free. As for the detective work... Some of my fellow Administrators here call me the Bloodhound or Bulldog. I don't give up easily!

Comment

Just an update. Departure has been delayed again to midnight Tuesday our time. Apparently 9 metre waves at the moment. Not exactly pleasure cruising. Reminds me of Gilligan's Island. Not sure what this will do to our itinerary. I'll let you know. M

Comment

Hi all. Another update. Port Chalmers has been taken off the itinerary. Looks like we won't be catching up Tom. Always a next time. Regards Mark

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎