X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Frango100
    Just checked the picture of your birds shocks, but it has the double stud. That doesnīt seem to be original. At least, i checked the birds manual now and it also shows an eye end on the lower side. I probably could fabricate a plate for the lower stud to go in, however the angle of the shock does not coincide with the angle of the lower mounting bracket.
    What do you mean double stud?

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

His '58 shock has the rounded end with the pin that goes through. Your shocks have the stud at both ends.

John
      Attached Files
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
        His '58 shock has the rounded end with the pin that goes through. Your shocks have the stud at both ends.

John
        Interesting, all I did was replace what I found under there? Being the 3rd owner and the second owner did nothing but drive it about two years and park it... wonder what happened?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          Interesting, all I did was replace what I found under there? Being the 3rd owner and the second owner did nothing but drive it about two years and park it... wonder what happened?
          Is your car a later build. It's possible Ford modified the mounting sometime during the year to use the dual stud type shocks.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
            Is your car a later build. It's possible Ford modified the mounting sometime during the year to use the dual stud type shocks.

John
            Would you need my data plate or my vin number to know that? I have the vin here are work, but I'd have to get the data plate again, don't have a photo of it.

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Would you need my data plate or my vin number to know that? I have the vin here are work, but I'd have to get the data plate again, don't have a photo of it.
              You will need the numbers on the lower part of the VIN tag to find the production day and month.
              See here for the data plate decoding: http://www.tbird.org/DataPlate/vdata.htm
              sigpicFrank
              1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
              Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

You will need the numbers on the lower part of the VIN tag to find the production day and month.
                See here for the data plate decoding: http://www.tbird.org/DataPlate/vdata.htm
                Well the info on my plate says 09H, so that means the 9th day of August in 58?

Comment

• Frango100
                  Experienced
                  • May 2 2016

Well the info on my plate says 09H, so that means the 9th day of August in 58?
                  Yes, that is right.
                  sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                    Experienced
                    • May 2 2016

I disconnected the rear shock from the lower mount, and found that the shock would only extend a few centimeters until its stop (1" 1/2 more or less). That seems to be very little travel. I already found that when going over a speed bump, when accelerating a bit soon, that the rear wheel started spinning. I think that this has to do with the very small travel of the shock until its stop. Anyone knows how far the travel should be?
                    Installed the new front Monroe OESpectrum shocks yesterday, but couldnīt test them yet. The old shocks are still giving resistance, but have no air pressure in them or are just moving with too much force.
                    sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Did you buy Monroe 5936 or 33129 for the rears? They look just like John's illustration with a stud on top and cross bar on the bottom.
                      The extended length should be 20" and the travel should be just over 8".

Are you looking for AIR shocks or standard? - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        Did you buy Monroe 5936 or 33129 for the rears? They look just like John's illustration with a stud on top and cross bar on the bottom.
                        The extended length should be 20" and the travel should be just over 8".

Are you looking for AIR shocks or standard? - Dave
                        I bought the Monroe 31125 for the rears, but the measurement mentioned was for the existing rear shocks. This Monroe 31125 does not fit the 58 model, because it has studs on both sides, while the lower end should be an eye end. Iīm looking for standard shocks.
                        Will Monroe 5936 or 33129 fit the 58 model?
                        Just checked the Monroe 5936 and its a OE Spectrum shock. Will that give a comfortable ride?
                        I found a Monroe specifications list from 2015 with the shock dimensions, for who is interrested in this: http://www.monroe.com/downloads/inst...ifications.pdf
                        Last edited by Frango100; February 4, 2017, 09:10 AM.
                        sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

...Will Monroe 5936 or 33129 fit the 58 model?
                          Just checked the Monroe 5936 and its a OE Spectrum shock. Will that give a comfortable ride?..
                          Yes.
                          Did you buy Monroe Spectrum shocks for the front? Do you want an original equipment ride?
                          If so, look up the shocks I suggested because they are Monroe Spectrum shocks. They both have 1/2" piston rods and they incorporate modern technology. More importantly, they have a stud on top and a tie bar on bottom. That's YOU!
                          5936 Shock ----- ----- XP5 S4 12.13" 20.25" 8.13" ----- P01136 & P00941
                          Broken down this means, it has a bottom cross tie with closed-hole centers at 2-1/2" apart, and a 3/8" stud on top. P0136 and P001136 are parts bags that include the rubbers, washers, nuts (for the top) and mounting bolts (for the bottom).

Sorry you bought the wrong shocks, but you need to carefully look at your car, especially rear shocks because they are easy to see. Now before you buy, carefully scrutinize both numbers I gave. Compare the dimensions to the shocks you take off. MEASURE. If you find anything questionable, ask our forum.

All the other numbers you gave don't apply to your car so I won't address them. - Dave
                          Last edited by simplyconnected; February 4, 2017, 02:39 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                            Experienced
                            • May 2 2016

The stupid thing is that I have been laying under the car quite a bit, so I should have seen the lower shock ends to be eye ends. Someone only fabricated some bracket, so that they could put a shock with an open eye end and bolt on it. The shock in place now is one made in Brazil. I didnīt remove it yet for measurements, but I'm almost sure that this shock is too short and bottoms out too soon when going over a bump. I presume that the new shocks tie bar will fit normally, when the bracket is removed.
                            Yes, the front shocks I installed up front this week are Monroe OE Spectrumīs. Couldnīt test them yet, since its raining every day. And my bird doesnīt like water (or maybe its just me)
                            Thanks for your answers Dave.
                            sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

This is your setup, right?
                              You know how to measure hole centers in the bottom plate. Use any scale, measuring from the beginning of one hole to the beginning of the opposite hole. If you measure in millimeters, that's ok because we can easily convert to fractions of an inch.

You may find your hole centers to spread across 2.5" but if they are closer, you need to know before ordering your new shocks. Also, notice that the illustration shows those to be 'clearance holes' for bolts and nuts with lock washers. Measure the hole diameters using a simple twist drill (in fractions of an inch). The holes may be 5/16" or maybe 3/8". I'm thinking, 5/16". We want to make sure you order the correct shocks this time. And yes, they should bolt on straight out of the box.

By the way, did you find the 5936 shocks in your PDF file? It's there. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                                Experienced
                                • May 2 2016

Thanks again Dave. Yes, I saw the shock info in the list.
                                My setup is almost the same as the illustration shows, but the bottom plate where the lower shock mount attaches to, is different. But I think that that will not make any difference to the way its mounted though. I will measure the bolt holes tomorrow, on the job now.
                                sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎