No announcement yet.

Need a new gas tank!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new gas tank!

Did a search on this site and found web sites with tanks for sale.
    The tanks I'm finding are 20 gal.
    I believe mines a 12 maybe 14 gal.When she's on E thats all she'll take.
    Do the 59 convertibles have a smaller tank because of the retractable top.Deeper trunk?
    Or can I go ahead and order a 20 gal.?
    Thanks

Mine must be full of crud.The book says it's a 20 gal.
    Bought one off of E bay.210 with shipping.cha ching!

Comment

• 6TB1RD
      Experienced
      • Apr 9 2006

look at the size

I had to replace mine also

When I first got my Bird it did not have a gas cap so I wnt to the local Auto parts store and bought one. after cleaning the tank I put about 8 Gal. of gas in her and started her up. I started to here this crunching sound so I shut her off looked around did not see any thing wrong.

I started her up and drove around the block just about made it home when she died. We pushed her in to the driveway looked around and again did not see anything wrong. Then I looked under the back of the car and found the problem I used a nonvented gas cap, and the vacuume from the fuel pump sucked the tank down to about half it's size.

Any way I got my new tank from 1AAuto. I beleave it cost me about $225.00 with shipping. and $8.00 for a vented gas cap.
      George (Papa of 9)
      1960 H/T :rolleyes:
      Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
      sigpic

Comment

• fomoco59
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 10 2005

I bought my car with the gas tank in that same condition. Apparently the previous owner had a non-vented cap on it. It doesn't leak, but I'm sure my gauge isn't right. $20 gives me a half tank!
        sigpic
        Mike Lemmon
        '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

My father put on a non-vented replacement gas cap on his 1964 Chevrolet Impala when I was a kid. Each time he went to fill up, he could put in less and less gas into it, until a fill up was only a couple of gallons. He had to replace the gas tank. The suction of the fuel pump had crushed the gas tank like a beer can.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

wow.
            It's hard to believe that a fuel pump can create enough vacuum to crush a gas tank like that!
            These old pumps seem pretty weak to me in fact.

I had to install a supplemental electric fuel pump on my Olds in order to bolster the old mechanical one. It certainly doesn't have the strength to colapse a tank.
            Learn something new everyday!
            Casey

Comment

That is amazing!
              I thought I had bottomed out and crushed my tank some how but have never scraped the bottom.Looked at the tank and it has imploded a little right where it's leaking.And my car has been sputtering and dying.New tank and cap on it's way.
              Just took her in for body work and paint.New bumpers and grill coming in today.
              Thanks guy's

Comment

Besure to get a good ground on your new gas tank,I put a new tank on my car this summer and before I installed it I put a good coat of undercoating on it afterI installed my gas tank my gauge would not work found out that it would not ground though all my under coating so I had to install a single ground line now tha gas gauge works.
                Bob M

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎