X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Backfire

So i have been trying to eliminate things on my list, almost done with the brakes still have the heater core but here is another problem.

My car backfires or pops when under acceleration it idles fine but when i give it gas it seems to hesatate a little and begin to pop or backfire. So steps i have tried to take to correct this, I replaced the points used a dwell meter to get them right, replaced plugs and checked the plug cables where on right cylinder (guy i bought it from didnt have them on right cylinder, tried to adjust mixture. The only thing i havent gotten to is checking the timing (but its on the list haha), i also replaced the fuel pump filter, but id be willing to bet the tank is probably bad so i might have to replace the filter again.

So any suggestions on what to do
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
    So i have been trying to eliminate things on my list, almost done with the brakes still have the heater core but here is another problem.

My car backfires or pops when under acceleration it idles fine but when i give it gas it seems to hesatate a little and begin to pop or backfire. So steps i have tried to take to correct this, I replaced the points used a dwell meter to get them right, replaced plugs and checked the plug cables where on right cylinder (guy i bought it from didnt have them on right cylinder, tried to adjust mixture. The only thing i havent gotten to is checking the timing (but its on the list haha), i also replaced the fuel pump filter, but id be willing to bet the tank is probably bad so i might have to replace the filter again.

So any suggestions on what to do
    Loosen the dist. a bit so you can move it, but it doesn't move on it's own. Start playing with the timing after the motor is warm. Set it where it wants to idle the best and back off just a tick. Go drive the car see if she pings under load, if it does back it off a bit more till it doesn't ping.

I rarely use a light to set timing fwiw...

Do you have a filter before the fuel pump?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Backfire is most always a timing issue. Yes, having the wrong wire on a spark plug is a timing problem. First thing, check your firing order (I know you did, but do it again). I trust you have a Shop Manual.

Backfire happens when fuel mixture, just after the carburetor, gets ignited. It happens because the intake valve is still open when spark (or heat) is introduced.

If your distributor cap has carbon trails, spark may be diverted to the wrong wire. Carbon is a great conductor and usually found in cracks in your cap. When a spark plug won't fire or a spark plug wire goes bad, the high voltage follows the path of least resistance.

Wait until dark and open your hood. Use a paint stick to move your spark plug wires around. The insulation breaks down on old wires, causing an arc to jump to another wire or to ground. It usually shows clearly in the dark.

I don't have enough info about your engine. How many miles on it? Has the distributor ever been removed? Could the distributor be off a tooth on the cam? (Be sure your rotor points to #1 spark plug tower @ TDC.) Ignition timing can cause backfire if it is too far off, so can a timing chain that has jumped a tooth. Badly worn valves can cause backfire, too. A compression checker will show worn valves, so will an air hose (pressurizing a cylinder with the valves closed, you can hear it hiss).

Hesitation is caused by a sloppy timing chain. I guess this enough 'things to check'. Let us know what you found. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Also;

1) Vacuum advance canister,

2) Accelerator pump diaphram

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are two kinds of backfiring: through the carb and through the exhaust. The word "backfire" , if taken literally, seem to imply the latter.

In 2005, I was getting ready to rebuild the motor from my '58 in a neighbor's garage. Just prior to that, I removed the hood and put it in my own garage, and left the air filter there as well. I then fired up the car to drive it to his house. It was January, cold and dark; the motor was worn out with some 150,000 miles or more. As I began to accelarate the cold motor down the road, it hesistated significantly and then let out with this most impressive backfire through the carb!! A neat ball of flame! I had heard this in cars before that were running poorly - hesitation and then a "poof" but never seen it.

Back in the old days, the bikers used to enjoy an occasional backfire for fun and entertainment. They did it like this: go along at a decent speed, hit the Kill switch with the throttle wide open. Wait a second and then, with the carb still wide open, turn the Kill switch back On. BOOM!! Done correctly it could break a window nearby.... This, of course, was unburnt gas vapors down the exhaust pipes suddenly ignited.

John
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by JohnG
            Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are two kinds of backfiring:..
            Actually, there are three (according to Webster)... My wife backfired last night, and made the curtains flutter.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
              Apprentice
              • Mar 17 2010

Thanks for the help so far hopefully this weekend i get to look at it more. But to answer some questions and ask some more
              Yes I have to the shop manual, your distributor cap has carbon trails, spark may be diverted to the wrong wire. Carbon is a great conductor and usually found in cracks in your cap. When a spark plug won't fire or a spark plug wire goes bad, the high voltage follows the path of least resistance.

Wait until dark and open your hood. Use a paint stick to move your spark plug wires around. The insulation breaks down on old wires, causing an arc to jump to another wire or to ground. It usually shows clearly in the dark.

How many miles on it? Odometer reads under 52000 i belive and that is orginal miles on car, Has the distributor ever been removed? Not to my knowldege the guy i bought i plan to replace the cap and the rotor just to be safe and i did replace the point already. But it Could the distributor be off a tooth on the cam? This is very possible i have loosened the dist a think (is that what holds the distributor in place, sorry not a total expert on technical names. it turns alittle but havent taken off the vacuum advance line again since i replaced it so i think its hitting on a few things limiting my turn ability of the distrubtor to really tinker with the timing.

Also you said the Accelerator pump diaphram i got a new one of those when i got my carb back which was rebuilt so i replace it just to be on the safe side, seeing how i dont believe they changed it when the rebuilt it. It is possible that the vacuum advance is bad itself but i am open for suggestions as to what where i should start and if that doesnt fix it what to move on to next __________________
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Justin, you are certainly welcome and thanks for the details. 58,000 miles is not an old engine. Which engine do you have?

Take your distributor cap off, and watch the bottom plate while you pull a vacuum on the hose. The points-plate should move quite a bit. If it doesn't, buy a new diaphragm and screw it in.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Seems like either new plug wires might be in order, or check the ones you have with the multimeter.

If you carefully read the Shop Manual, you will find some comments by Ford about correctly laying out and arranging the plug wires so that no "cross firing" can occur (one wire inducing another). There are two specific cylinders they mention (too lazy to go look it up...). You might get an extra pair of looms to help with this.

Dave, if Backfire Type #3 is occurring, perhaps you now have an answer to Mr. Iacocca's question . . .
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 17 2010

I have the 390 i believe z code also what is the backfire type you are refering to, i will check the plug cables could just buy new never hurt and your saying make sure they arent laying on each other possibly causing a cross fire? also would you recommend just to be safe putting a new cap and rotor, and new wires and diaphragm ? I have a shop manual but didnt see anything about the cylinders to check where is that located?

So starting with those and working up is a good start i assume, also just moving the distributor around till the timing seems like is probably a good move as well i assume, thanks again

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
                      I have the 390 i believe z code also what is the backfire type you are refering to, i will check the plug cables could just buy new never hurt and your saying make sure they arent laying on each other possibly causing a cross fire? also would you recommend just to be safe putting a new cap and rotor, and new wires and diaphragm ? I have a shop manual but didnt see anything about the cylinders to check where is that located?

So starting with those and working up is a good start i assume, also just moving the distributor around till the timing seems like is probably a good move as well i assume, thanks again
                      I can attest to the hint about running the car in the dark and watch for sparking. My olds was running strange once and I did that and wow, what a light show I had going on under the hood. Runs much better now with new wires that aren't cross firing.

I would get a set that you can make your own length wires instead of the premade. They come out much better, you will find you can keep them from being on each other when you run them and make the lengths exact.

I can't remember if the straight ends or elbows work better on the FE's. The set my 58 had on it when I got it were so over long a few of the runs went over and were laying on the inner fenders . They were brand new so I just cut them all to length.

I also picked up a couple packs of the cheap plastic spark plug wire separators and used them where ever I needed to try and keep the wires apart.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 17 2010

IS the diagraphm the breaker plate

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

The diaphragm is screwed to the breaker plate. It is the piece your vacuum hose plugs into and it is screwed to the side of your distributor. It is probably called a, Vacuum Advance Diaphragm. Pull a vacuum on the hose and see if the points plate moves inside your distributor.

Look in the "Tune-up" section of your manual. It will give the correct firing order. Also, read the section regarding the distributor, and how it is oriented.

Yes, always use good wires and a good distributor cap. Good wires are expensive but they are worth every cent. The original-type wires are ok, but silicone spark plug wires are a lot better.

The 390 engine is a very popular engine. You can easily find parts for it in any auto parts store. Put fresh spark plugs in, too.
                          Last edited by simplyconnected; March 31, 2010, 10:59 AM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎