X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430MEL Water Pump Pulleys...

I have a possible source for someone who would be interested in making the 430 Yahoo compressor mounting bracket that is nearly impossible to find. A drawback for years in converting the non-AC 430MEL equipped cars to AC has been finding the EDJ-2882-B mounting bracket for the 430 engine. The following cars had the 430 either as an option or as standard equipment.

1958–1960: all Continental models Marks III, IV, V as standard equipment (430 only)

1958–1960: all Lincoln models as standard equipment (430 only)

1958–1960: all Mercury models as standard or optional equipment (383 and 430 only)

1959–1960: all Ford Thunderbird models as optional equipment (430 only)

1961–1965: all Lincoln Continental models as standard equipment (430 only)

Classic Auto Air has been making their "Perfect Fit" aftermarket AC equipment for the 352CI equipped 1958-1960 Tbirds for years, with an optional compressor mounting bracket, and a good number of owners have upgraded their non-AC Squarebird with AC. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, they have not been selling many of this unit for their 430 non-AC Tbirds because they do not have a universal mounting bracket to allow installation. I know of one who does have that kit on it because the installer made a mounting bracket to make it work. I suspect that there are a good number of 430 non-AC equipped Tbird & Lincoln/Continental owners that would love to upgrade to the CAA equipment, IF the mounting bracket was available. Of course, if you have good metal and welding skills, you could probably make your own bracket.

If you have an interest in having the EDJ-2882-B mounting bracket re-created, please send me a PM and let me know. I can put you in touch with the person who would consider doing this if the demand is big enough.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• OX1
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
      But there was a reason why Ford wanted that 2 groove non-AC pulley replaced. Carl thinks it had to do with the speed of the pulleys driving the generator, and other components... So anyone who wants to do this conversion is going to have to come up with both the smaller 2 groove pulley and the single groove pulley.
      Another reason to probably start with the available Lincoln WP and AC, WP pulley. They appear to be the correct (or very close to what Ford spec'd for Birds) diameters.

As mentioned, dia of non AC, 430 WP pulley.

And Lincoln WP and AC pulley Dia's.

Classic Auto Air could do themselves a favor and just specify you start with the Lincoln stuff.
      At least then, you only need one custom part (compressor bracket). OK, maybe two with
      I'm guessing fan spacer will need adjusting, but I'd guess most are upgrading fan somehow
      anyway.
      59-430-HT

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Henry, the measurement on that water pump pulley with the micrometer on it, showing 6.124 is that the 1 groove pulley that goes in front of the 2 groove pulley? Do you already have the necessary 430 AC water pump pulley, and the 1 groove pulley? If so, please let me know, because I have been looking for you also, as I am for the EDJ-2882-B mounting bracket.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Derbird
          • Jul 10 2016

Just finished tracking together an ac compressor bracket for my 430. It needs another brace added still, but by using the pictures of the original one that Ray posted it was only about a 5 hour project.
          Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Just so you know, I have contacted all my sources again, to see if anyone has any of the water pump pulleys needed to do the 352 or the 430 AC conversions. So far, no one has found any of these much needed pulleys. For the 352, I did post, as I recall, that Classic Auto Air did tell me that many who have done the 352 conversion have been using Chevy small block 2 groove water pump pulleys to give you the 3 grooves that you need.

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Derbird
              Just finished tracking together an ac compressor bracket for my 430. It needs another brace added still, but by using the pictures of the original one that Ray posted it was only about a 5 hour project.
              Have any pics of it with the original 430 PS brackets mounted up? Just curious how it all fits together
              59-430-HT

Comment

• Derbird
                • Jul 10 2016

I am not using the original power steering, so no pictures. If I were using it, I believe that I would have to make the ac bracket so that it would sit on top of the power steering bracket.
                On my car I am changing to a rack and pinion, so I am using a type 2 gm pump that is mounted to the bottom of the ac bracket.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎