Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

In '58, the overwhelming majority of Thunderbirds were equipped with the Fashion Ray full wheel covers. In '59 and '60, the overwhelming majority of Thunderbirds were equipped with the Sun Ray full wheel covers.

Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

For the spring I plan to have a set of color-keyed rims and use the dog-dish style cap on my white car. I'm told the white background dog-dish was only used on the 57 Ford cars, for 58-59 Fords the background color is Gold. This would looks great on a red car. I'll send a picture of a 58 yellow sedan delivery I saw at Fall Hershey to Alexander to post. Notice the solid rims in addition to the gold caps. For the record, were TBird rims color-keyed on the few examples that didn't have full wheel covers?

Ken
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

For the Squarebirds, Ford stopped the color coding of wheels. They were all black.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Or chrome . . . ?

I don't want to radically change it. Just want a slightly retro-rod look. I still like the wire wheels (except for the tubes)
          But it still looks like an old man's car, even w/those. (Prob cause it *was*)
          I'm (only) 47 . . . Not too old yet.

Onw of the guys in the TB club has a white 59 conv. It has baby moons. I like it, but he has wide whites. I don't like those with the b/moons.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

This a picture of GTE427's wheel and 1958 Ford hubcap:
            Attached Files
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
              Was sunray wrong? I just meant the regular wheel covers that 59's & 60's came with.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the "FORD" center caps.
              I guess now the search begins for the "Dog dish" hubcaps and 2 15 X 7" for the front & 2 15 X 8" (rear) Chrome wheels. I already have a set of TA Radials. Should be interesting.
              You can get the wheels from WheelVintigues in Fresno. http://www.wheelvintiques.com/ The have them and will make them in custom offsets for you also. They are making a set of 15x7 and 15x8 up for the 65 now for me. I am getting them in bare steel, but they ran me 88 each for the 15x7 and 95 I think for the 15x8 plus $10 each for shipping to Redding.... They also have a page for how to make the measurements for them on the custom backspacing.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 28 2004

Cool. Thanks for that info.
                I'll cont them.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎