Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StratOBird
    • Dec 11 2013

Auxilliary Gauges

My first post - I have a 60 Hard Top I just purchased, it's still in the shop getting final bits done and detailed etc. I plan on putting in gauges for oil press, water temp and volts and wonder if anyone has come up with creative ideas for installing gauges that either complement the car's original design or don't completely destroy it. I bought the gauges already - Autometer Prestige gauges. They look somewhat similar to the main gauges and my first thought was to mount them on a finned panel under the radio using the cap screws that hold the access panel to secure the gauge panel. This makes sense but it somewhat hides the heater which is a very cool design element in my opinion. Ideally a flat panel on the console would be my first choice but I can't find anything close to one that will fit in the console without really hacking it up. Any ideas from anyone? I searched the threads and couldn't find anything so I'm sorry if this has already been covered. Thanks - Dan
    Dan Kamps
    Kittery, Maine
    '60 HT 390 "Joann"
    Registry # 51037
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Welcome!

Hi Dan -
    Welcome to squarebirds. You can find a ton of info about aftermarket gauges by going to the Forums Home page and typing "aftermarket+gauges" without quote signs into the search box. Are the original gauges present? I'm no expert but I think hooking up modern aftermarket gauges especially volts might be tricky with an original generator. Good Luck!
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Auxilliary Gauges

Dan, some have placed their auxiliary gauges in the area where the AC vent would be, right above the radio. If you do not have AC on the car, that might be a good place to put them. As I recall, the hole for the AC vent is already there, under the dash pad. Others have put them down below on the left side of the instrument panel. I think I have even seen them in the center console.
      Last edited by YellowRose; December 21, 2013, 11:10 PM. Reason: Addtional comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• StratOBird
        • Dec 11 2013

Thanks Ray and Don. Right now as I navigate through the site I'm suffering from TMI - too much information. I'll try and find the threads. I guess there's only so many places to put the darn things, other than inside the glove box. I'm just trying to make them look like they're supposed to be there. I've found a finned, polished aluminum panel that carries on the horizontal line theme which might be my best shot but I'm still looking for something better. Ray, I thought about putting them in the dash above the radio (I don't have AC) but don't think I could bring myself to cut into the dash, yet. What would be really nice is if someone found a fabricator that made a gauge panel out of the slatted chrome used for the other dash panels.
        Thanks again.
        Dan Kamps
        Kittery, Maine
        '60 HT 390 "Joann"
        Registry # 51037

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

guages

i have a chrome bracket under my dash with ammeter, oil pressure and tempeature 2 inch guages above about where the accelerator pedal is located.
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

FWIW here are a couple of pix of my auxiliary gauges. Basic three module plain chrome face plates with 2 in. gauges.
            Attached Files
            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Google "classic gauges". I would give some of these vendors a call, never know they maybe able to help
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• StratOBird
                • Dec 11 2013

Thanks all very much.
                Howard - how did you get the panel on the left in without obstructing the hood release and parking brake? Does the '59 have them in the same place? I think they would clear the parking brake but my hood release is right there. If I can find a way to put them on the left as you have I think I'm going to do that for now. It actually looks pretty good and the gauges I have look like vintage instruments with the same colors as the factory gauges.
                Dan Kamps
                Kittery, Maine
                '60 HT 390 "Joann"
                Registry # 51037

Comment

• Howard Prout
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 11 2009

I made a bracket for both the hood release handle and the trunk lid release button and attached the bracket to the underside of the lower panel. If you look closely at the "bright" picture you can see the hood release handle.

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                    inexperienced
                    • Jul 9 2015

I have found a dual dash pod on ebay. "Grand National Turbo-type WE-4 WH-1 Regal 2 Gauge Console Pod" 1 plan is to have it painted to match the console and mount in front of heater control on the console. Judging by the picture and the dimensions it should look like it belongs there and not hide or interfere with the heater controls. I used the custom shop thru autometer to design the 2 gauges for oil and amp. 2 1/16 size. Another possibility is a chrome dual pod also found on ebay. "Chrome Dual 2 Gauge pod holder ABS Dash Mount" I would mount this one under the cigarette lighter, under dash. Since I had my clock repaired, I didn't want to replace it though I really like what the guy did in his conversion. I'm leaning toward the chrome under dash approach. The pod is also available in a single holder. Good luck.

Comment

• sidewalkman
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Howard Prout
                      I made a bracket for both the hood release handle and the trunk lid release button
                      Trunk release button??? I want one of those. Can you take a picture of the button and the trunk part? Is it vacuum?
                      Scott
                      South Delta, BC, Canada
                      1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                      Red Leather Interior!
                      www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                      Thunderbird Registry #61266
                      http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Howard Prout
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 11 2009

I have a convertible - they have an electric trunk release button.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎