No announcement yet.

A nice 60 for sale

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice 60 for sale

Was surfing the web, found this one, a little too much for my bank account but thought someone would be interested. What is the chrome option they are talking about-was this a Ford option?

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: A nice 60 for sale

Lots of Squarebirds now have this exterior chrome dress-up kit, including my 1959. It was never a factory or dealer option. The headlight doors and windshield wiper wells have been found in Ford boxes in chrome, but the hood scoop and rear quarter pieces are things the owners chromed on their own. It is thought that these pieces were chromed so that they could match any color car as a repair.

These chrome pieces have been put on these cars for such a long time that even in the VTCI concours rules listed it as an option. The VTCI rules have been revised now based on the evidence. There has never been found any documentation, such as brochures or parts books, that this option was offered.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

RE: A nice 60 for sale

That is a nice car.

I'm sure Alexander is correct on that chrome kit. I don't remember seeing those on cars until more recent years. As a kid, I knew every TBird around (our area) because we had one. I never saw chrome body parts on them. Actually, I don't ever remember seeing those red white & blue centers on the hubcaps, but I'm told they were a dress up option. I'm know that "some" Ford dealers (in the early to mid 60's) had the wire wheels on hand and would install them on any Ford if the customer wanted them. They would just be there on display.
      There is a 57 Fairlane conv, thats been around as long as I can remember. It's always had the (orig) KH wires on it. I've compared horror stories with him recently re' tubes and so on.

John

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎