Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keith
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2010

I have been pretty busy at work and home so I haven't made time to post.

Here is a quick picture to show the redsigned nose. I thinkit gives the car a 50's concept look, with aircraft design. I'll try to make time to post some construction pictures.
    Attached Files
    Keith
    Sedalia, Mo.
    sigpic
    CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Hey, it does! The 'mouth' looks like an intake port for a jet.

That front end will look dynamite in paint. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mt59bird
        Apprentice
        • Feb 10 2011

^^ Or more like a bird. It's the beak and the headlight brows are the eyes.

I like the peak on the front. It's going to be one of those cars that people will look at and think that there is something different, but can't quite put their finger on it. Nice work, again.

I'm thinking of painting the front bumper on mine just because of the price to re-chrome. It was in really bad shape - peeling and pitted.

Are you going to do anything with the rear bumper? Do you have an artist pic of what it will look like?

Thanks,

Mike
        E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

I like it!!

It really does look like a "Thunder Bird"

I can just see lightening bolts spewing out of it's beak. Hmmm maybe some graphics of lightening coming out of the grill. Probably NOT.
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• keith
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2010

Thanks Guys,

Mike, just be patient the rear view is spectacular also.
            Keith
            Sedalia, Mo.
            sigpic

Comment

• keith
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2010

Here's what I found when I cut the left rocker off. Cut out the rust and welded in some new metal. Getting ready to fit the new rocker on first of the week.
              Attached Files
              Keith
              Sedalia, Mo.
              sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Nice discovery, Keith. You always do good work.

I can't stress the structural importance of that long rocker assembly. This IS the frame (on a car that doesn't have one). Convertibles got extra heavy gauge metal rockers.

So, don't be afraid to use 12-ga. inside there for body strength. The outside 'skin' doesn't need to be heavy because it's there for looks. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mt59bird
                  Apprentice
                  • Feb 10 2011

Two thumbs up! Better to find it now, huh? Keep us posted. Looks like your working your way to the back...
                  E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

Hey Keith,
                    Once again very nice work! I'm waiting for you call when you can get to "Christine"
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

Thanks for all the picture updates Keith. You may just think it only keeps us up to date on your progress however it's also really helpful.

Now I know what's behind the rocker and how it's built, where to cut if I ever need to do a rocker replacement etc.

I definitely agree with the rest of the folks - super work - that's going to be one unique Thunderbird.

Eric
                      registry 5347

Comment

• keith
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 13 2010

I have the left inner finished. Have the new rocker fab'ed and drilled for spot welds. The new rocker rolls under the car vs the old rocker that had a flare coming out of the bottom.

Once it is welded into place I will start on the left front fender opening.
                        Attached Files
                        Keith
                        Sedalia, Mo.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice work ...

It will be interesting to see how that changes the look when it's done. thanks for posting. Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Keith, just after the Body Bucks, the Underbody Respot Welders did those rocker flanges on the bottom. A dozen pinch guns (on each side) came in, welded, then the car moved forward about four inches and the same pinch guns welded again. We've done that on all Ford cars forever.

Your roll looks neater, but the purpose of the flange was to catch a few 'stacks' of metal, and spot weld them all at once.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 12 2011

One of the members early commented on the structural integrity of the long inner rocker. When restoring my bird I had one side that had been dmaged and rusted badly.

Inside that long square member are sheet metal structural supports. I cut out part of the rocker and inserted square tubing (I think it was 4" x 4" - it has been a long time) and then welded it in place and closed up the opening with sheet metal for appearances. Unfortunaely all my pictures of this part of the restoration are pre-digital camera.

If you don't provide the support here the car will sag - especially a convertible.

Your body work looks great.

Kevin

Comment

• keith
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Feb 13 2010

Originally posted by kevin_tbird
                                One of the members early commented on the structural integrity of the long inner rocker. When restoring my bird I had one side that had been dmaged and rusted badly.

Inside that long square member are sheet metal structural supports. I cut out part of the rocker and inserted square tubing (I think it was 4" x 4" - it has been a long time) and then welded it in place and closed up the opening with sheet metal for appearances. Unfortunaely all my pictures of this part of the restoration are pre-digital camera.

If you don't provide the support here the car will sag - especially a convertible.

Your body work looks great.

Kevin
                                Hello Kevin,

I used 12 ga to replace the rusted areas. I like your idea about the square tubing, however the new rocker curves under and there would not have been enough room for the new design.

These digital cameras of today are a very good tool, everyone one should have one in their tool box. As I get older and the projects seem to take longer to complete a couple of pictures of the dis-assembly sure help when it comes time to put it back together.
                                Last edited by keith; July 18, 2011, 09:40 AM.
                                Keith
                                Sedalia, Mo.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍