X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Windshield Clips

How do the clips that hold the top exterior windshield molding attach to the car? It looks like they should kind of clip into place - but my clips don't have much "spring" left to them and just want to fall out. If I spead them a little apart they just refuse to go into the hole.

Maybe they were caulked into place as there is plenty off caulk on them.

Finally - clips on first and then molding? Or put the clips on the molding and line them up on the car?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Probably the last question for today.
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

I can't seem to find any information online about installing the windshield upper exterior molding. has anyone done this or have a recoomendation on who I should contact?

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kevin,

From the diagram in the shop manual the clips just push into the underside of the roof. There's no mention of glue or caulk holding them in place. The moulding is installed starting at the top edge and then pressing the bottom edge in place. There is a piece of tape shown in one diagram going the length of the windshield. I'm not sure if that holds the clips in place or not.

John
      Last edited by jopizz; July 19, 2011, 09:47 AM.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• kevin_tbird
        Experienced
        • Jun 12 2011

Thanks for helping me with this John.
        There is a square opening on the underside of the roof where the prongs of the clip go. However there is no spring action to the prongs. So the prongs are either to big to fit the hole (if I pry them outwards) or too small to hold the clip in if I squeeze them together.

Maybe the clips are just old and I need to find new ones (no one sells them as far as I can tell) or they must be held in some other way.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Kevin

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is there access to the holes from the inside under the molding. Maybe you have to put them in and spread the prongs apart from the inside to hold them.

Comment

• kevin_tbird
            Experienced
            • Jun 12 2011

Okay - so I finally got one in. The trick is to place the clip in place on the roof. Align one edge of the prong inside the cutout and use a screwdriver to push the other side of the prong. It takes three hands - four if you want a light to see what you are doing.

By the way the prongs have to be exactly the right distance apart before you start on the above procedure.

Don't forget the strip of tape that goes along the roof edge before you put the clips in.

Kevin

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It sounds like something Ford would design. Glad you got it figured out.

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                Experienced
                • Jun 12 2011

I found a way to do this with just two hands. Here is the correct way to install the clips.

1. From the back of the clip - the side that will touch the car squeeze the legs on the clip together so they fit loosely into the hole in the car roof.

2. From the front of the clip grasp the clip with a pair of pliers. You want to grab the end of the legs inside the clip.

3. Place the clip into the hole and squeeze the pliers. It moves the legs out to grip the sides of the hole in the roof. A nice snug fit.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎