Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traneman
    • Jul 25 2017

Looking for some advise

I have the original Wonder Bar radio from my 57 that does not work. I have power to it but nothing.

My question is should I send it out for repair, send it to get the retro upgrade, buy an upgraded wonder Bar radio and keep the original, or just put in something that fits.

Just thought I would get some advice as to what others have done for their audio.

Thanks
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

From stock to a high tech upgrade are all good options. In MY opinion, you should ask what you would like your system to do and look like when done, what is the budget, and then proceed accordingly. A stock looking radio can be upgraded to put out lots of power for lots of money if that is your choice. My 57 has no radio, and my 63SR has the working stock AM/FM with single dash speaker, and I like them both the way they are.

Comment

• Wade
      • Sep 4 2013

More than likely the on off switch went bad if you have a good fuse. This is a common problem with these radios. One other tip don't be fooled if the pilot lite works when you turn the radio on and off, the switch is a double pole and the contacts for the radio fail the most often. I think it is around $500 to convert the radio. I have two original am radios that use the little fm converters and I am happy with that. The switches are unique and hard to get. I had a few of them around if I can remember where I put them.

Comment

• Traneman
        • Jul 25 2017

Any suggestions on the best place to have the radio converted to something more modern, but keep the same stock look.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

I have no experience with any one making the modifications - but there is a well known local shop - guess the only thing to do is to call them and ask about what you need done, turn around times, and of course, the cost.

There is a company that advertises a lower cost modern unit that fits the dash. Everyone I have talked to that has this unit is not satisfied and wishes they spent more money or had the original modified.

If you have a library on your phone, or other electronic device, be sure you have the option to play them on the new system.

Comment

• Wade
            • Sep 4 2013

Several of the Tbird suppliers now offer a radio that is a nice looking new reproduction of the T&C radio. It has all the bells and whistles of modern day radios. The price is close to what a conversion will cost. Has the advantage of being an all new radio including the chrome trim. Worth looking into and It appears to be an item that they have in stock ready for delivery.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Looking for some advise

There are several in the Advertisements Forum regarding companies who can re-do your classic radio into a new one. Gary Tayman comes to mind. However, a quicker and perhaps cheaper way to go would be to order one already converted by one of our Tbird parts houses who offer them for sale. Check out the Advertisements Forum, or contact Tbird Hqs, or the Bird Nest, and others to see what they offer. If you do not have the free parts catalogs available to you, contact all those major Tbird parts houses listed and ask for them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Traneman
                • Jul 25 2017

Thanks everyone, I think I have decided to keep this radio intact and order one of the newer style radios that look just like it.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎