X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

Howard:

What was temp gauge reading before you stopped?

What is the rating on your thermostat??? Usually 160 or 185

What is the pressure rating of your expansion tank cap?? (13 or less?)

Aside: did you guys know that the reason a thermostat Opens is because a block of wax melts and expands? The external spring is what closes it. I never knew that until recently....
    Last edited by JohnG; August 17, 2009, 07:57 PM.
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Howard Prout
      ...after I got home, she was very hot to the point that the coolant was boiling in the overflow reservoir!...
      What?
      Please don't tell us bubbles were coming out.
      Howard, could you tell us a little more about this?
      - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by JohnG

What was temp gauge reading before you stopped?

What is the rating on your thermostat??? Usually 160 or 185

What is the pressure rating of your expansion tank cap?? (13 or less?)
        Temp gauge was at "P", themostat is 160, cap is 13psi.

The coolant had expanded to flow from the expansion tank into the overflow reservoir - where it was literally bubbling! After it cooled down, the overflow reservoir was empty and the coolant was back in the expansion tank.
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I think you need to invest in one of those laser heat guns. The kind you can point and click to get a temp reading- esp. since you have a 430cid bird.

Do you know if the 2 smaller thermostats were reinstalled or replaced behind each waterpump "ear" to the block?

Are we sure these bubbles were not just air being pushed from the stock expansion tank into this add-on overflow resevoir?

-Jon
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Hey Howard,
            Where is the water level when she cools off, in the surge tank after puking? Try running her again and not add any more water, see what she does. WATCH TEMP GAUGE!!!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Howard Prout
              Experienced
              • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
              Where is the water level when she cools off, in the surge tank after puking? Try running her again and not add any more water, see what she does. WATCH TEMP GAUGE!!!
              The coolant level in the expansion tank after the engine cooled down was about the mid point of the expansion tank which is where it usually is when the engine is cold. The coolant that had gone into the overflow reservoir was all sucked back into the expansion tank.

I don't have much faith in the temperature gauge as it has had some misadventures but it probably still gives a ball park reading. Yesterday was the first time this year that it went above the first leg of the "M" on the TEMP gauge.

The auxilary thermostats are not installed in the engine - I don't think they are still available.

In case some of you may have misunderstood, I drive "Old Betsy" most days - primarily to the golf course - about 8 miles each way with a five hour rest between trips. I don't have the exact number but I have probably put close to 1000 miles on her this summer. Yesterday's experience was the first time on what may be considered a "hot" day ,at least by our standards, since installing a 160F thermostat and the fan shroud. I thought the problem had been overcome by these changes- but alas, that is not the case. This isn't a new problem but existed for several years before I had the engine rebuilt. It appears that the solution is to not drive her on "hot" days.
              Last edited by Howard Prout; August 18, 2009, 06:45 PM. Reason: Additions

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

Are you running a 50/50 mix of "maintained" green coolant & distilled water? Remember regular green coolant breaks down after 40-50K and/or every 3-5 years.

If so, you might try a couple bottles of a solution called "Water Wetter", it might help remove some more of the heat from your big 430cid engine.

Those 2 smaller thermostats haven't been made for years but do pop up from time to time on Ebay. They are really not needed though, unless your Bird's heater could use some more WARMTH in the cold winter months. I don't have them in my 430cid Bird either.

-Jon in TX.
                Last edited by tbird430; August 19, 2009, 09:21 AM.
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Hey Howard,
                  When was the last time the radiator was flushed? If that does not correct the problem I would suggest removing the radiator, taking it to a radiator shop and having it professional cleaned.
                  I had a older camper that did the same thing. I finally got tired of it, took the radiator out and had it cleaned. He told me it was working at 50% of what it should. It was a 460 engine and I never had any more trouble out of it!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Howard Prout
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                    Hey Howard,
                    When was the last time the radiator was flushed? If that does not correct the problem I would suggest removing the radiator, taking it to a radiator shop and having it professional cleaned. Richard D. Hord
                    The engine was rebuilt last summer. At that time the radiator (triple core) was cleaned by a rad shop and the water pump was rebuilt - the circulation as seen in the expansion tank is good. I am running with a five blade fan and have a fan shroud.

The ambient temperature was about 80F this afternoon when I drove home from the golf course. The TEMP gauge sat between the E and M, even after idling when I stopped at the mailbox. The problem seems to only occur when the ambient temperature is over 90F with high humidity.

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Hi Howard:

I just think it's the nature of our 430 to run hot when the temp gets over 85.

I have a similar situation -- engine completely rebuilt and has about 800 miles. Radiator disassembled boiled out/rodded and rewelded together. Thermostat is new 160, with 13 psi cap, no head thermostats. Using 50-50 antifreeze with Water Wetter. I do not have a fan shroud.

I calibrated the temp gauge using a candy thermometer in the surge tank, and a laser temp gauge on the manifold temp sensor. At normal operation temp (about 212 degrees engine temp) the instrument temp gauge is on the middle of the M.

Driving in 80 degrees is OK.

Driving in 85 is OK unless traffic is stop and go; in which case the temp gauge will climb to just below the P.

Driving in 90 depends on constant flow of air through the radiator. If there is stop and go traffic or traffic lights, and airflow to the radiator is weak, the temp gauge will climb to the top of the P -- and then I pull over, let her cool down, and wait for the traffic to speed up.

I haven't had overflow problems. But anymore, if it's over 80, I just won't drive it unless it's a fun drive in the early AM.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430
                      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Howard Prout
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by bcomo
                        ...I just think it's the nature of our 430 to run hot when the temp gets over 85...

I do not have a fan shroud...
                        Hi Bart:
                        The reason you don't have a fan shroud is because you sold the one you had to me! Thanks.

A contributing factor to my overheating problem is, as can been seen in the attached photos, the number of parts that are chrome plated, including valve covers, valley cover, expansion tank, timing chain cover, air cleaner, oil pan,etc. The chrome plating reflects the heat back into the engine rather than letting it dissapate via radiation. The engine compartment is in need of a good cleaning after a summer of activity.

Howard
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Howard Prout; September 16, 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Hey Howard,
                          Man your engine compartment is gorgeous!!!
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Howard is that a Petronix I see in the pic
                            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Howard Prout
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                              Howard is that a Petronix I see in the pic
                              No, stock ignition.

Comment

• 65cobra03
                                Apprentice
                                • Dec 27 2006

puking antifreeze

Hi
                                My 1960 conv w/430 had an aftermarket temp controlled electric fan installed on the front of the rad. On hot days at an idle temp will go up but not enough to expand coolant & gurgle out the over flow I keep a bare minimum in the expansion tank "cold" & run a 13 lb cap the fan seems to nicely keep the temp down at a reasonable level
                                BEN

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎