X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hood (1960)

The Hood on my '60 was squeeking when opening, so I sprayed the springs & hinges with WD40. The squeeking has stopped, but the hood just barely stays up. It was simmilar prior to spraying, but I would want it to hold properly & not land on someones head.

Thank you, your advise welcome.

Chris....From The Land Of OZ.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Did you spray in the latching mechanism? Either it isn't being entered all the way, or maybe rust is prohibiting the latch from working full stroke. WD-40 is good for your springs, but you may want a dollop or smather of grease between the spring hooks and the steel links. Cheers! - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

The springs that hold the hood open get tired over time and stretch. More paint makes the hood heavier and therefore it takes more force to keep the hood open. I can't remember if there is tension adjuster for those springs or not - one would think there should be. As a last resort you can install new springs, but you may have to have them custom made. There is a pair of hood hinges currently for sale on eBay.

Last edited by Howard Prout; November 28, 2009, 10:27 AM. Reason: additions
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎