X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by Larry Jones
    Goodmorning John. I was thinking about this process of how the NSS works. If I can start the car in park or neutral all the times with moving the shifter up aways or leaving it in neutral and feeling around there to energize the top up switch is there another contact that needs to be touched with the shifter also. Because if the car will start in the park why isnt the switch energised all the time when the car is started up. I also secured that thick black wire on the right side of the NSS yesterday also. Plus today I have to reattach the top control relay to theback of the firewall and then attach the up and down switch to the passenger side of the door. No more today. Thanks Larry
    Taking the relay off was easy trying to put it back is very difficult. Iam 6foot 4 about 210 lbs. I can grab on to the relay and even feel the prongs. Is their a short cut to this or maybe undoing the two screws that hold it to the wall. If I do that and let it dangle there will that make it inoperally. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can leave it hanging or tie wrap it in a more convenient place but you will have to ground it by connecting a wire to the case and the car body.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

Goodmorning John. I was thinking about this process of how the NSS works. If I can start the car in park or neutral all the times with moving the shifter up aways or leaving it in neutral and feeling around there to energize the top up switch is there another contact that needs to be touched with the shifter also. Because if the car will start in the park why isnt the switch energised all the time when the car is started up. I also secured that thick black wire on the right side of the NSS yesterday also. Plus today I have to reattach the top control relay to theback of the firewall and then attach the up and down switch to the passenger side of the door. No more today. Thanks Larry
        Ok John the relay is back on thanks to my wife and thats secured. Hooked up the three prong plug to the switch on the door Put it in park and wiggled it the same thing in neutral and the lid didnt even move. Pulled the plug out of the three prong switch and tested the plug. No voltage inside of the plug where to now. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It could be one of two problems. There's a 10 amp circuit breaker on the starter solenoid that sends power to the top control relay. There may be three circuit breakers on there if you have power windows so I would just test them all. If that proves good then it's most likely the relay that's bad or it's not grounding correctly. When you turn the key to On or Acc you should hear the relay click if it's getting power but that doesn't mean it's necessarily good. The contacts could still be dirty. Did you have the plug off of the relay. If so they are hard to get back on correctly and it may just be cocked and not making good contact.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

testing the 10 amp circuit breaker

Ok John the relay is back on thanks to my wife and thats secured. Hooked up the three prong plug to the switch on the door Put it in park and wiggled it the same thing in neutral and the lid didnt even move. Pulled the plug out of the three prong switch and tested the plug. No voltage inside of the plug where to now. Larry
            How would I test that relay There our two wires that our kooked to this relay.Would I have to disconnect those wires and do a static test. Should it read infinite ohms Larry

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The only way to correctly test the relay is to put power to two of the input terminals. They are usually marked B and S on the relay. If you hear the relay click then you need to put a volt meter or test light on the output terminal which is usually marked H to make sure you get 12 volts. This is the only reliable way to test it. There is no way to test it with an ohmmeter.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2009

testing relay

How would I test that relay There our two wires that our kooked to this relay.Would I have to disconnect those wires and do a static test. Should it read infinite ohms Larry
                those two wires our on this 10 amp relay. both terminals read 12.6 volts

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

I misunderstood your previous question. I thought you were referring to testing the top control relay. If you get 12 volts on both terminals of the 10 amp circuit breaker then it's good. Just make sure the wire is on there tight and there's no corrosion. Your problem is most likely with the top relay. You can test it as I stated in my previous post; unfortunately you will have to remove it again.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2009

testing top control relay

those two wires our on this 10 amp relay. both terminals read 12.6 volts
                    Couldnt I test the plug and bypass the relay all together this plug discription is like a triangle if I take a paper clip and bend both sides two at the widest part of the triangle that should energise the up and down switch and the switch should register 12 volts is that correct I wouldnt need to start the car either. Larry That would mean a new relay

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you remove the plug from the relay you can put a jumper wire or paper clip to bypass it. There are two plain black wires on the plug. One in the middle and one on the end. There's a picture of it in the shop manual page 11-49 if you have one. If you jumper from one to the other you should then have power to the top switch.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2009

electrician who worked on my car

Couldnt I test the plug and bypass the relay all together this plug discription is like a triangle if I take a paper clip and bend both sides two at the widest part of the triangle that should energise the up and down switch and the switch should register 12 volts is that correct I wouldnt need to start the car either. Larry That would mean a new relay
                        Until tommorrow. If this jumper wire works the the relay is bad. Where as the **** thing worked several days before I took it to them. They said they had to jumper the up and down switch where have they could of jumped it at I noticed no frayed wires peeled back or anything like that. They probably cooked the relay when they did that. What I should have done was to cycle the trunk up before they started to work on it. They also said that the top was coming up very slowly then they jump it. Once bitten twice shy if this all holds water tomorrow. Thanks John

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If this works it's not definite that the relay is bad but most likely it is. It still needs 12v on one of the other two wires on that plug in order to energize the relay. One comes from the ignition switch ACC position and the other comes from the neutral switch with the key in the ON position. The chances of both of those not working is slim though.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 3 2009

Until tommorrow. If this jumper wire works the the relay is bad. Where as the **** thing worked several days before I took it to them. They said they had to jumper the up and down switch where have they could of jumped it at I noticed no frayed wires peeled back or anything like that. They probably cooked the relay when they did that. What I should have done was to cycle the trunk up before they started to work on it. They also said that the top was coming up very slowly then they jump it. Once bitten twice shy if this all holds water tomorrow. Thanks John
                            Goodmorning John. I got some errands to do this morning will attempt to jump the relay plug this afternoon.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 3 2009

jumped the top control safety relay

Goodmorning John. I got some errands to do this morning will attempt to jump the relay plug this afternoon.
                              Top of the afterneen to you John. Heres what I exactly did. Used one piece of wire and U shaped it and inserted into the plug of the top contrlo relay using the bottom two slots only to the plug.I turned the ACC switch to on and then I inserted may voltage tes probe which was ground to the frame and the probe beep at me and the led glowed also. I put the probe in the center slot of the door switch. So everything that was discussed this to you indicated a bad top control relay switch. If that is confirmed by you I have one place where I can purchase this item any other suggestions where to purchase. Thanks for staying with me Iam so appreciated for your wisdom. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                                Experienced
                                • Feb 3 2009

Top of the afterneen to you John. Heres what I exactly did. Used one piece of wire and U shaped it and inserted into the plug of the top contrlo relay using the bottom two slots only to the plug.I turned the ACC switch to on and then I inserted may voltage tes probe which was ground to the frame and the probe beep at me and the led glowed also. I put the probe in the center slot of the door switch. So everything that was discussed this to you indicated a bad top control relay switch. If that is confirmed by you I have one place where I can purchase this item any other suggestions where to purchase. Thanks for staying with me Iam so appreciated for your wisdom. Larry
                                One more thing.I left the jumper in placed inside the top control relay pluy would I still be able to raised the lid John.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎