X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Aftermarket radiator question ('58-'60)

Has anyone out there purchased and installed a "Optima core" radiator like this? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts and results. thanks (click on link)

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

They are careful not to say what metal the lowest line radiators are made from. Then, they go into aluminum, copper, different centers, etc.

I want to see the real numbers. Heat exchangers can be accurately measured regarding BTU/minute ratings. An important factor is, how easily air flows through the cores. Sometimes too many 'obstructions' slows air flow like a brick wall.

Keep in mind, when Squarebirds left the factory they were equipped to tackle the Mojave desert while running A/C. So, 'factory' is usually good enough for stock engines.

If you are serious about cooling your engine, get an oil cooler because oil reaches temps of 300-degrees F.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

One way or another, my car is going to run cooler this year.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

These old cars usually overheated due to excessive idling or stuck in traffic. An electric fan is the fix for that.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

tried that already. I could idle all day with the electric fan, but temps would climb running down the interstate at 70mph. My engine also makes twice the HP than before. I went to a 6-blade fan with a proper shroud. I'm ok now unless its a warm day.

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

I have an AC car and the problem is low speeds or idle. The needle goes right up to the H, but not beyond. I heard the aftermarket fan shroud helps these situations. I heard this was a late 1960 addition. Is any of this confirmed? I'm aware Chevrolet eliminated oil coolers on the C5 corvette by mandating synthetic Mobil 1.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
                I heard the aftermarket fan shroud helps these situations. I heard this was a late 1960 addition. Is any of this confirmed?
                There is a fan shroud shown in the parts manual however I've had a number of '60's with A/C and none have had one.

John
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jopizz; January 7, 2017, 01:05 PM.
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                  tried that already. I could idle all day with the electric fan, but temps would climb running down the interstate at 70mph. My engine also makes twice the HP than before. I went to a 6-blade fan with a proper shroud. I'm ok now unless its a warm day.
                  My fan doesn't even turn on when I'm on the highway.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

then perhaps my original radiator is not as clean inside as I am assuming.

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

John, so I don't find the shroud anywhere in my manual, but it seemed to be there as depicted in your diagram.

The next question is does it make a significant difference in cooling? It would certainly make things more crowded in an AC car like mine.

BTW, I know you were asking about non-modified 1960 AC cars. The only change in mine was the switch to R134.
                      Last edited by Deanj; January 15, 2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

Dean:
                        Just by logic, the fan shroud should improve airflow through the radiator. There is also a lot of info out there of proper fan position with a shroud. Rougly they want about 60% of the fan blade inside the shroud and 40% outside. I had to buy a thinner fan spacer to get this position. I'll include a picture of the aftermarket shroud on a stock AC 1960 with a 352.
                        Nyles
                        Attached Files

Comment

• olevet
                          Experienced
                          • Jan 28 2015

Im thinking of adding and electric fan to Front side of the Radiator and just add a simple toggle switch for on/off And just turn it on if she starts gettin hot
                          Anyone tried that?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

That's not a good idea because:
                            • You will forget,
                            • Someone else driving your car won't know, won't pay attention to your gauges or won't remember.
                            • You don't want to wait until the engine overheats.
                            • The cooling system should always have a reserve of some capacity.

If you put anything in the path of air flow it is a restriction. Even so, an electric fan should be thermostatically controlled OR it should automatically come on with the A/C compressor.

The thermostat should monitor RADIATOR temp, at least half way down in case you lose some coolant. And yes, sometimes I go many Michigan winter months where my electric fan never turns on.

There is such a thing as 'too much cooling' like in trucks, where they cover part of their radiator to conserve heat. Too bad we don't have that problem.
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by olevet
                              Im thinking of adding and electric fan to Front side of the Radiator and just add a simple toggle switch for on/off And just turn it on if she starts gettin hot
                              Anyone tried that?
                              Exactly what I use.

After years of no fan at all I regularly check the temp gauge anyway - so knowing when to turn the fan on is second nature. (Not that I need it that much anyway - little traffic build-up, mostly open roads and NZ isn't exactly the Mojave Desert!)

"Your results may vary"
                              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎