X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Rear Main Seal Question

Is it possible to change the upper and lower part of the rear main seal while the engine is in the car, without pulling the crankshaft? These are the neoprene rubber seals.

I know that the lower half can be changed by pulling the rear main cap, but can the top half be changed?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

You can do it!

Yes it is possible to change the upper half of the rear main seal. Spray the exposed part of the seal with WD-40 or Silicone lubricant. Take a blunt extension and/or a blunt punch and tap one side of the upper seal until the other side of the seal pops out about a quarter to half inch. (be sure not to hit the housing) Get a pair of vice grips and secure the vice grips to the exposed part of the seal. Before you start to remove the seal spray it again with WD-40. Gently start to wiggle the vice grips and pull the seal out with enough force to remove it. Do not pull too hard. If it is still hard to pull out spray it again with WD-40 as you progress with the wiggling and pulling. It will come out if you take your time. When you install the new seal be sure to coat it with white lithium grease. Do not use vasiline because it will deteriate the new seal. Take your time installing your new seal so you won't damage it. Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.....Det45 P.S. Thank you for naming my 59 T-Bird (Bluebird). I selected your name suggestion.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Keith:

Thanks for the reply. The problem will be getting the oil pan off first. I sent you a PM.

Your welcome about the name. I've seen the photos of Bluebird, and she's a great looking car. You will make her even better with everything that you do. Hope to see more photos later on.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• uhcrandy
        • Oct 3 2006

There is a tool called a "sneeky pete" i beleive. Its basically a small corkscrew type tool that screws into the gasket on one side and allows you to pull, rather than push the upper gasket. Some old-time mechanics should know what I'm talking about. Thanks Randy

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Yes. I remember seeing that somewhere on the web. I'll look it up.

Thanks
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

Bart, so I take it ur having a small problem with ur recent overhaul?
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Yea. Rear main seal drips about a 50 cent piece after a 60 mile drive. They said that they would fix it. I was just wondering if they could do it from underneath, since I don't want the engine pulled again. Everything else is tight and dry.

The BIG problem is I don't know if the 430 engine can come up far enough to get the oil pan forward. There isn't that much room to come up against the A/C box.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎