This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pictures posted of the top of the engine.Most of the ones I have seen have the air cleaner on or they are missing parts.The 1959 430 convertible I am working on has A/C,but the part in front of the radiator was gone when I got the car last year.It looks like it has all macthing numbers,I just got the transmission back from a rebuild and the engine should be done in a few days.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

What do you mean by matching numbers? Fords of these years do not have matching numbers. You can reasonably assume an engine is original if it dated within a month before the build date.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Experienced

The block, heads, intake and right exhaust manifold starts with B9ME except the left exhaust it starts with B9LE .
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

tp tbird:

Where did you get the rebuild parts for the 430 -- especially the pistons? Is it a package?

I may need this very soon.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Experienced

I got the engine parts from Fast Engine Parts on E-bay master kit ,but I called them to talk and deal with .The pistons are not like the orginals ,these are flat on top.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Super-Experienced

Thanks tp tbird. Maybe you could do a post after the rebuild on how things went.

By the way, if you have the original starter in there, now would be the best time to change it. It's almost an impossible job to change a starter in the car with a 430 and A/C. The engine has to be jacked up untill the bell housing is literally into the A/C box for the starter to clear the crossmember. That's exactly what had to be done on mine.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Super-Experienced

I don't see the 430 listed on the Fast Engine Parts Web site. http://www.fastengineparts.com
Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Experienced

The place I have my engine at called me and said it is ready ,but I just got out of the hospital after 4 days in with a heart-attact.Had to have a stint ,I think everything looks okay.As for the 59 bird I will have to go slow for awhile till I can do heavy things.My engine cost me alot ,the shop that done the work on the short block re-build cost $3,298+$1,245 in parts,heads $496+$151 for new valves.I will have over $6,000+ , closer to 7grand with the other bolt-on parts
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I hope you recover well.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Experienced

Default Maddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomo View Post
I don't see the 430 listed on the Fast Engine Parts Web site. http://www.fastengineparts.com
Maddog engine parts is the one I talked to The guy was Harris (1-800-9404379)
On the kits they have Basic,Master,or Deluxe
It just depends what you need to rebuild,but they will give and take on parts in a kit,like if you don't need one thing ,and need something else that is not in a kit they will adjust price.The kit I got was a master and I added valve springs and push rods.It came with a rebuild kit for the oil pump ,but it was suppose to be a new one ,so they did send a new one when I told they about it ,it is not the vac,also the kit come with a new cam ,all the gaskets,timing gears ,chain,ect.The rear main seal is a wick seal so it is best to replace it with a neopreme one, part number B6A321B $27.15+s/h in the Thunderbird Headquarters book.tom p