No announcement yet.

1962 Tbird rear windows stuck UP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up a 62 Conv Bird. BOTH back windows at stuck in up position. Everything else works.
    Could it be one problem or each window has it own issue.

Thanks

Tim
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

welcome

Hi Tim & Welcome!
    Well, it could be a number of different things and you are probably in for some investigation and electrical testing but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are probably both in the up position on purpose.

When I got my '60 one of the back windows was in the up position and wouldn't go down and I found the motor disconnected and the window stop inverted to prevent the window from moving down. One of the tracks was a little bent up but I was able to straighten it out and reconnected the motor and adjusted the stop and the window has worked fine ever since. I'm guessing that the window maybe came off the track or somehow became a PITA for the PO who "fixed" it so it wouldn't open and cause any more grief.

There are also circuit breakers for each motor and grounding can sometimes be problematic. My driver's side door window started acting up a few years back and I found that it didn't have a good ground at the motor.

Good luck !
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe there's a rear lockout switch on the main switchplate if I'm not mistaken. From there each rear window has their own switches and wiring so you will have to troubleshoot them individually.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tim, if you need it, check in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) and you will find the Wiring Diagram(s) for your Tbird. Do a Ctrl F(for Find) and type in Wiring Diagrams. That should take you right to them. The link to the TRL is always part of my, and jopizz's signature element, and also has its own sub-Forum. Good luck..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you need manuals for your car you can download them for free here.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

I got the car finally last night. The rear windows where working. Maybe they seller hit the window lock button at some point????
            I have no dash lights, but that is another story.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
              Experienced
              • Jul 4 2015

Get the Shop Manual

Hi,

per the suggestions below, the recommendations of getting a shop manual is paramount to troubleshooting most to the issues with your car.
              Geoff In Carlsbad
              1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

I have all manual possible for the car. PO bought them all and were passed along to me. He passed a few years ago, wife sold it. I have well documented history back to 1980. Good news motor and trans rebuilt 10k miles ago, in 1985. ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎