Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wudro
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2015

Well I'm happy and equally sad to report that my Body Work Smoking Deal went Up in Smoke. After a week of back and forth, I'm going to pick the car up untouched. The work these guys do IS exceptional and affordable, just not for me right now. The number more than doubled after seeing the rust. Plus, I'd have to purchase all the Patch Panels, around $1000. No hard feelings or Bridges burned, a mutual agreement.

I'm hoping, since it's on the trailer already, to tow it to the suspension shop that put airbags on my Lincoln. They can do the stuff I can't, like installing bushings and what not. At least I'll get it back to the shop having some sort of progress. I'm glad to not have spent the money, but also disappointed. Cash Rules Everything.
    SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Always tough when expectations of a project turn sour, but sounds like a civil understanding was reached. I've been on both sides of this fence from doing paint and body work on others cars and having some things done for me. Quite often previous damage or rust has been covered up and the exterior looks like there should be no problem to refinish, but once into the restoration a lot can be uncovered - which leads to huge labor bills which are difficult to explain and accept. Its a bit of a tightrope to walk for the restorer and the owner every time.

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I also understand your frustrations. I must have gone to 20 different body shops before deciding on one. Then I got a firm bid, parts and labor, on a car that was totally stripped to bare metal with everything removed. There shouldn't have been any surprises.
        Guess what. After 11 months, I finally got the car back and I ended up 25% over estimate. God, I love body shops.
        Nyles

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

I've found that I don't even ask for a cost to get anything done unless I pull up in the car.

I asked about replacing the exhaust front to back. I want to run headers and 2.5 inch to Flowmasters just so it rumbles. I'm not thinking the performance is going to improve that much but I want the boulevard cruiser sound! In any case the price over the phone almost doubled, and mine has no rust or anything weird and it's the original exhaust system with all the hangers.

They said way more bends than anticipated!
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Wudro
            Experienced
            • Jan 25 2015

Thanks for the Kanter recommendation and support everyone. It seems we all have similar stories, that's the way it works I guess. When you have others do work you can't or won't do, costs are all over the map, along with quality.

Side by side with a close friend of mine, I think I'll attempt the body work and see what happens. I took a Community College course in High School and remember the process. He is a killer Metal Man, along with about everything else you can think of. So we should be able to figure it out, one section at a time. But I'll save that til later, focusing on the undercarriage as I have been doing.

On a side note...
            I hope this thread is informative and helpful for other members. I'm glad to see you guys posting things that we all can find useful. That was my intention when I started... To ask questions and receive answers and have a place for others to learn as well. This thread is far from interesting or innovative, but maybe we'll get there. I know a lot about a lot of things, but even though I have always loved Cars, I don't know too much about them. That's what I'm trying to remedy.

Back to it... I got my Rocker Panels today and picked this up at Desert Valley Auto Parts! Rusty but complete. The Rear Cowl that is usually the first to go. My original is Swiss Cheese. This one looks salvageable. I bet not many of you guys find these laying around very often!
            Attached Files
            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Randy
              Experienced
              • Dec 21 2015

"On a side note...
              I hope this thread is informative and helpful for other members. I'm glad to see you guys posting things that we all can find useful. That was my intention when I started... To ask questions and receive answers and have a place for others to learn as well. This thread is far from interesting or innovative, but maybe we'll get there. I know a lot about a lot of things, but even though I have always loved Cars, I don't know too much about them. That's what I'm trying to remedy.

Back to it... I got my Rocker Panels today and picked this up at Desert Valley Auto Parts! Rusty but complete. The Rear Cowl that is usually the first to go. My original is Swiss Cheese. This one looks salvageable. I bet not many of you guys find these laying around very often!""
              .. Oh yeah Ditto Ditto; Mr Wudro
              Rocker Panels looks very nice! funny thing that was the first body part i looked for, at the time I had know idea they were in short supply or thats the first to go, or what it was called, which
              led to getting the whole parts car on the cheep with a little work
              Outstanding Wudro ,
              "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
              Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• Wudro
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2015

What's up Guys? Well my TBird's first flight away from home has been a disaster. I wish it was here so I could work on it! Instead, it's been gone for 5 weeks. Yes, FIVE! I'm going crazy without anything to keep me busy. Along with the Desert Heat fast approaching, this has me upset, if not more than that.
                My good friend towed my car to the body shop, the deal fell through, and it's been abandoned by everyone. I've been left to fend for myself. Some may accuse me of being hard on people I'm close to, and that's probably true. But when it comes to loyalty, honor and friendship, I take people at their word. This didn't go smooth, and I've been Steaming over the whole thing. I think I've lost a friend, maybe good riddance.
                So in order to be self sufficient I ordered a Tow Bar, fabricated brackets and now I can pick and drop this thing in minutes! I'm so happy. It's money well spent, instead of giving it to a tow company.
                So it's at the suspension shop for now, and I'm still going crazy that it's gone. I feel like it went off to college. Empty Nest Syndrome indeed.
                Attached Files
                SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've learned over the years that body shops are more than willing to give you a low ball estimate to get your car in their shop. Once there they have you at their mercy. You can either pay their price or it will sit. That's why whenever I need any body work done that I'm not capable of doing I find someone who's willing to come to my garage and do it. You'd be surprised how many welders and fabricators there are that are looking for jobs on the side and will come to your place at a fraction of the cost of a body shop.

John
                  Last edited by jopizz; April 15, 2016, 09:44 PM.
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

Ryan:
                    Nice job on the tow bar. From the looks of the body, it appears the engine and trans are out of the car? Just want to make sure you don't tow it on all 4 wheels with the drive shaft still in place.
                    Nyles

Comment

• Wudro
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 25 2015

You're right Nyles, no Motor or Trans. It tows surprisingly easy, so easy I got comfortable and startled myself looking in the rear view mirror and spotting a car about to rear end me!
                      I got this in the mail, my first custom license plate. Been keeping an eye on what's available, and this finally came up. Now in a year I have to deal with Bureaucratic BS, since they won't designate the plate to my car, because it's uninsured. They still took my money though!
                      Attached Files
                      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

In Cali, they are now offering the black and yellow plates as new. They look pretty good, but not totally retro since the numbering is different and they need to put a reflective coating on the plates. Still haven't decided if I'm going that way or restoring the old plates. New plates are actually cheaper, but if I want customs, they hit you for an extra $40/yr.
                        What do you guys think about these for plates? "MCMLX" or "TBIRD LX"
                        On another note, I took out minimum insurance on my car when it was in the body shop. Wanted it covered if it disappeared. Classic insurance is very reasonable and I thought worth the price. I insured it as a project car. I recommend staying away from the Big insurance companies that don't specialize in classics. AAA wanted a fortune and really didn't seem interested in insuring the car. Maybe some guys here can advise on good insurance companies.
                        Nyles

Comment

• del
                          Retired Expert Enthusiast
                          • May 11 2010

Hi Nyles,
                          I have been with Condon Skelly in NJ since the 80's with a few different cars and do not have any complaints. Have not had any claims so can't vouch for that bit. Their rates are very reasonable. I'm pretty sure I did some price shopping way back when.

Good luck!
                          Regards,
                          Don Vincent
                          Amherst NY
                          1960 HT 352
                          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 T-Bird Project

Many classic car owners on here and many other sites, insure their classic cars through Grundy Worldwide, Hagerty Insurance Company, and J.C. Taylor Insurance Co. There are others also. Be sure and determine what they will cover. Some companies have restrictions on how the car can be used, ie: Only for S&S activities, car repairs, etc.. No daily driver use. Others have other restrictions. Check them all out before you made a decision. I was insured by Hagerty at one time, til I found a local insurance company here that specializes in covering many classic cars belonging to the many car clubs locally. So I went with them and saved a lot more money. You might contact your local car clubs and find out which companies they are using these days.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Mar 18 2009

Hi Nyles, CUSTOM plates are a personal thing. I don't know how strong Roman numerals are in the States, but here in Australia very seldom used or seen. With the first one, I would be totally confused & with the other one half confused. Probably most Classic, Vintage & Veterans Cars here in Australia are insured with a company called SHANNANS. My '60 BIRD is insured for $70.000 & I pay $280 per year agreed value. My '79 Cadillac Eldorado is insured for $21.000 agreed value & I pay $174 per year. Both cars are Club registered & can only drive them 90 days each per year on log book. On the other hand, my 1989 Mercedes daily driver on regular registration on agreed value for $8,000, I pay $337 per year.
                              My Custom plates BIRD & my Caddy ELVIS cost $ 200 each per year. 60 P

Chris......From OZ

Comment

• bird 60
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Mar 18 2009

The 60 should be under the BIRD, & the P under the ELVIS. I don't know why it was added at the end & not under.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎