Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Thanks for the answers guys. Since i have no idea when the transmission was rebuild (which i at least expect to have happened once), i probably will stick with a Type A fluid, which i can buy here locally.
    Edit: just checked the P/N of the filter (Pioneer) and its equivalent to a B-41. So it should be the correct filter.
    Last edited by Frango100; November 6, 2017, 09:06 AM.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100

Edit: just checked the P/N of the filter (Pioneer) and its equivalent to a B-41. So it should be the correct filter.
      I don't see a Pioneer filter available from Rockauto. What's the part number.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

I checked it as well before and couldn´t find it anymore also. I bought it with Rockauto in December last year. P/N Pioneer 745006.
        I also see this part on e-bay and it confirms to fit a 1958 T-bird with 352. Alternate number B-41.
        Last edited by Frango100; November 6, 2017, 02:55 PM.
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the Rockauto catalog Pioneer 745006 fits 1963 and later transmissions. I wouldn't go by what Ebay says. The Pioneer catalog is vague at best. Is there a tag on your transmission. Maybe it was changed at some point.

John
          Last edited by jopizz; November 6, 2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

The order from Rockauto I have here from last year mentioned this filter for the 58 bird with 352. Now it doesn´t anymore. But on the filter box is stated that its equivalent to the B-41.
            I will check tomorrow the data plate on the transmission, I have no access to the car now. The rubber pan seal at least is of the right size.
            By the way, how can I directly add a picture to a message?
            sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's possible someone changed your transmission with an FX or FM. In that case it would use a different filter but I believe the gasket is the same. Here's a picture showing where the o-rings go.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

Will the data plate show exactly which transmission it is, or must the case be measured for that?
                I have a paper showing three types, FX, MX and HX.
                I´m almost sure that the data tag on my transmission starts with PBB-
                Looking at the drawing, are there two loose tubes to the oil pumps? On my transmission there is only one loose tube, on the aft side. The front side is just a fixed tube connected to a larger module.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The data plate will only show what it came from the factory with. There was one automatic option in '58, an MX unless it was an export. It would then have a two speed Fordomatic. The code should be a PBL-* for the 352 engine. If it's a PBB-* it's a 430 transmission.

John

Comment

• Frango100
                    Experienced
                    • May 2 2016

As far as i could see its a PBL-7003-*.
                    The last digit is difficult to see.
                    sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It appears to be the correct transmission. Why the filter doesn't fit is still a mystery. Even if you are going to reuse the original filter I would still contact Rockauto and see about exchanging the Pioneer filter for an ATP B-41 filter and see if there's a difference.

John

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

So in the near future i will have to buy fresh fluid for the rebuild transmission. Now that it will have modern friction materials, there should be no reason to go with type F (which we don't have over here) or type A fluid anymore i think. Would a modern mineral fluid not be a better option?
                        sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

I had my transmission rebuilt, last year, by a shop that specializes in a lot of the older Ford transmissions. When I picked up the car, I asked them what fluid I should use in the transmission. They told me they filled it with DEX/MERC and that is what I should use.
                          We'll see what others on the site have to say.
                          Nyles

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                            I had my transmission rebuilt, last year, by a shop that specializes in a lot of the older Ford transmissions. When I picked up the car, I asked them what fluid I should use in the transmission. They told me they filled it with DEX/MERC and that is what I should use.
                            We'll see what others on the site have to say.
                            Nyles
                            Would not put Dexron / Mercon in my transmission, thank you . Will stick with Ford Type F . ( Type F replaced type A many many years ago ) .

" Type F should be used in transmissions , Ford 1979 and earlier models where type F is specified in the owners manual . Type F fluid differs in its frictional properties as they relate to the design of certain Ford automatic transmissions . The number of, composition of , and pressure on the clutch plates requires a fluid with different frictional properties to a Dexron 11 fluid, to ensure accurate trouble free transmission operation. "

This according to the lubricants handbook.

Comment

• Frango100
                              Experienced
                              • May 2 2016

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                              Would not put Dexron / Mercon in my transmission, thank you . Will stick with Ford Type F . ( Type F replaced type A many many years ago ) .

" Type F should be used in transmissions , Ford 1979 and earlier models where type F is specified in the owners manual . Type F fluid differs in its frictional properties as they relate to the design of certain Ford automatic transmissions . The number of, composition of , and pressure on the clutch plates requires a fluid with different frictional properties to a Dexron 11 fluid, to ensure accurate trouble free transmission operation. "

This according to the lubricants handbook.
                              But the handbook is considering the original transmission with its original clutch material. On a rebuild transmission, the clutches use modern friction material,
                              which doesn't require the type F.
                              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Burbach
                                • Jun 22 2019

Just my 2 cents on the "which fluid to use" in the Squarebird transmissions. The note that Type F should be used in Ford transmissions 1979 and earlier - yes that is absolutely so.. Talking to a man in the lubricants industry (LE in Ft. Worth retired) - he said use Dexron III/Mercon for longer life as it was "A" it was designed for and Dex III is an improvement of that..
                                But warned - "You will like the performance of Type F better as it increases the frictional properties of the bands (and stuff over my head) but due to the increased heat the fluid will need to be changed more often. Harder accelerating will shorting the life of the transmission over the "A" or now any Dex III compatible.. One more thing - he said it's not unusual to find those who run a 50/50 mix for maximum fuel economy. He mentioned a towing company that does that as well as his own experience in 90's era Cadillacs. He would add in 5 quarts of Type F to remove the slip accounting for a gain of 2-MPG (synthetic fluid of course)...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎