X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighwayThunder
    Experienced
    • Nov 19 2013

Structural cross-bar

There's a heavy cross-bar that fits under the car at the base of the firewall. The bar has a bend in it (by design). (see attached photo)

Does anyone know the proper orientation for the bar? Should the larger bolt holes go on the right or on the left?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Why on earth would you need a bar spreading across the bottom of the body???

I could understand a 'K' brace at the top, between strut towers because they would tend to 'fold in' under very extreme conditions. Thunderbirds don't have that problem.

If the bolt holes are larger on one end then it should only fit one way. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

It has to be installed after the engine and transmission are in, then it will only fit one way. I forget which way, and my car is in the shop.

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Why on earth would you need a bar spreading across the bottom of the body???
        It adds a tremendous amount of structural rigidity, since it turns the upside-down U shape of the section at the fire wall into a box. It is, by far, the heaviest gauge steel used in the structure.

Comment

• HighwayThunder
          Experienced
          • Nov 19 2013

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          If the bolt holes are larger on one end then it should only fit one way. - Dave
          I think the larger bolt holes are to allow for some tolerance in the fit, as the bolt size is actually the same on both sides.
          Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The larger holes go on the driver side according to the parts diagram.

John
            Attached Files
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

I was only about 75% sure but as usual John nailed it. The bend is towards the engine, making room for the lower bellhousing of the transmission.

Comment

• HighwayThunder
                Experienced
                • Nov 19 2013

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for the assistance!

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎