Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gene Cooper
    • Jun 9 2018

Disk Brakes 59 Conv. booster under dash

Has anyone compiled a complete list of material to convert over, I have read all the info on disk brakes conversion and there seems to be a lot of options I'm looking to do a conversion all 4 wheels, with 8" dual Booster with mounting Bracket, dual Master, valve and lines any info to give to my mechanic would be helpful.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disk Brakes 59 Conv. booster under dash

Hi Gene, yes, there is an Excel listing of parts needed, estimated costs, who to buy them from, etc., for Paid Members of this Forum. It is one of a good number of advantages to being a Paid Member. There are sections of this Forum that only Paid Members have access to. To see all the benefits of being one, take a look at Membership Benefits & Webspace Information at the top of this Forum. Paid Membership is $20yr, and the funds go to pay our server bill and keep us going.

As for doing a disc brake conversion on all four wheels, that is probably a bit of overkill since the disc brakes up front will be doing most of the braking. Most of us just do the front, and leave the rear alone. It also saves you quite a bit of money.

There are several different companies who market disc brake conversion kits. ABS has one that includes the mounting bracket for those who happen to have OEM AC on their Tbird. That gets the dual MC/dual 8" Power Booster clear of that AC plenum box. But you can also roll your own, using the Excel sheet and save a good chunk of change. Most of the parts I and others have used were bought either from Rock Auto (a member of our Forum that gives us a 5% discount) or from the local auto parts store. I favor MBM dual MC & 8" PB... Also, John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch is now marketing a complete disc brake conversion kit and now is about to market the dual MC/dual 8"PB with MBM equipment for non-AC AND AC equipped Squarebirds. He has not officially announced it yet, but has the non-AC kit ready to go, and I think the AC one also.
    Last edited by YellowRose; July 7, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ray is correct. The rear brakes do very little stopping. Many modern cars still have drums in the rear.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• p38fighter
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 14 2016

Ray,

I just plowed thru the TRL on Disc conversion and could not find the Excel spread sheet you referenced.
        I'm willing to admit my glasses need replacing but can you aim me in the right direction please.....Chris

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's not in the TRL. Since you are a paid member go to the Members Conference section down near the bottom of the Forum page and go to Members Only. It's a sticky in there.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎