No announcement yet.

Brake light problems ( 58bird )

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light problems ( 58bird )

Only my 2 outer brake lights work when the brakes are applied. The inner 2 only come on when the headlight switch is pulled...........and never indicate stopping....... Could it be

1. My switch at the master cylinder ???
    2. The headlight switch ?
    3. Incorrecly hooked up in rear???

any help is appreciated

**** all bulbs are new and signal lights and backup lights work fine. Licsense plate lights are not hooked up.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Brake light problems ( 58bird )

If your outer brake lights are working then your problem is that the green wire is not connected to the inner tail lights.

You also mention you are using new bulbs. Check that you are using the correct double filament bulb 1034 (now replaced by 1157). I have also seen the problem with cheap import 1157 bulbs, for some reason I have yet to figure out, they only will function as a parking light on 58-60 Thunderbirds, not as a brake or turn signal. Make sure the replacement you use is a GE,Sylvania or other name brand made in USA.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Im at a loss.............I got 4 new bulbs..............and hooked things up as in the shop manual................and nothing has changed..............my outside lights are acting as brake/turn signal.............and the inner ones only come on when the headlights are on..............and they dont even come on when the brakes are applied., I purchased a new headlight switch several months back but havent put it in yet..............are there any pictures out there of a 58,s tailight wiring ??? I dont know if its been altered or not.????????AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

There should be two wires comming from each of your inner tailights. The green one should connect to the green wire coming from the stop light switch. The green wire connector must be in your trunk behind the rear cardboard, since th outer brake lights work. If your outer tail light work as brake lights that means your stop light switch works. The inner tail lights do not act as turn signals; only the outer ones do.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

I have a green wire with an orange female cap. I also have a green wire with a green female cap that splits into 2 wires.............if I connect the inner taillight green wire to the orange-capped wire...........it becomes a brake light/signal light. The shop manual shows it connected to the outer light...........making it the signal light. This is how I have it. Oddly enough...........I can connect only one inner light wire............because if both are connected.......the inner light burns twice as bright.........as if Im riding down the road with my foot on the brake. I guess where Im screwing up is this...........the black wire coming from the tailights.........and where they are to be run to. I may be mechanicly incline but electrical stuff is not my forte. I found a picture of the wiring diagram and Im gonna blow it up..........Oh LOOK !! another gray hair !!!!

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I am not sure why you cannot connect both wires to the inner tail light to make them function normally. Are you using name brand American made bulbs 1157? The import bulbs do not line up right, making the parking light wire contact the brake/signal filament.

This is the wiring diagram for the rear lights:

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you VERY MUCH for that diagram..............My father saw the wires and said it looks like someone may have had a trailer hitch connected to my bird (god forbid) with seperate wires for the trailer lights. This may explain all the black electrical tape thats everywhere. Im gonna have to figure out whats supposed to be there...and disconnect all the rest. Ill get it straight.............just be looking at that diagram I know exactly where the problem is. Guess what Ill be doing this weekend ?!?!?!?!

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

My 1960 Thunderbird also had some wiring problems in the rear because of someone had mucked around with the wiring to attach trailer lights. I elected to keep the trailer hitch because it appears to have been installed when the car was new, possibly by the dealer.

Does your car still have the hitch? If not, does the bumper have an unused hole below the licence plate?

This is my 1960 with the trailer hitch:

For more pictures of Squarebirds with hitches see:

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

?????????? I hooked everything up like the diagram and the problem is that green brake light wire. The lights stay bright as if the brakes are applied.....and stay that way. It must have a short or something. AHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

If you connect a test light to the green wire and put the other end to ground, does the test light only light when the brakes are applied? If so, the problem is the bulbs. Import bulbs do not work on these Squarebirds.

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

I bought Sylvania bulbs (1157)and replaced all four. Its still doing the same thing. Im gonna do the test you suggested tommorow (didnt have too much time tonight to fool with it). Even with new bulbs I have no inner brake lights...........wouldnt this mean there is a short or break in the green wires??? When I turn on the headlights........the inner tail lights actually burn double bright.

Comment

My god !!!! Im obsessed now

I got my inner lights to function as brake lights as normal.......it seems (after pulling half the interior out) that underneath the dash.........some wires were not plugged in right. All 4 burn correctly when the headlight switch is on. The two outer signal lights work.............but (ARRRRRG !!) the two outside lights do not come on when the brakes are applied. At least I know now that they will all function.............so Im gonna keep plugging and unplgging till I hit the right configuration.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                          Experienced
                          • Mar 31 2004

I don't mean to jump in here as an outsider but the 58 had 2 different configurations of rear lights. Unfortunately I am in Miss. and don't have access to my notes and cars.
                          Basically there were 2 different wiring configurations for the rear of the car and it sounds like you have one of them. Don't start cutting wires or moving plugs around. The wiring diagrams that are out there will only confuse the issue.
                          I get home Sat night and should be able to give you an answer on Sunday.

Fuz

Comment

• Alexander
                            Webmaster
                            • Oct 30 2002

No one who likes Squarebirds is an outsider here. Welcome.

Alexander
                            1959 Hardtop
                            1960 Golde Top
                            Alexander
                            1959 Hard Top
                            1960 Golde Top
                            sigpic

Comment

Tmj........"whatever" it is...........its under the dash. Although I actually like the way it is now. My inners are for brakes.......my outers are for turn-signal.........and they all burn even at night............and to top it all off...........I put my new headlight switch in and BINGO.........I have a dome light again. Im kinda baffled though........... my old switch had a place for 1 fuse............my new switch has to use 2 fuses. I dont care though........it works well.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎