X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Framer_guru
    Apprentice
    • Aug 1 2008

Vinyl seats and various stuff...

Ok guys, time once again for my famous "Stupid Questions"! Now, I have been looking at various parts caralogs, everything from Larry's to Concours toPat Wilsons. With the little bit of research I have done so far, my '60 HT came with a vinyl interior. Everything inside and out is original, but the seats I have aren't like what are in any of the catalogs. The outer edges of the seats, front and back, are dark beige vinyl, like they should be. But the center section of the seats, what you are actually sitting on, are white cloth. Same design as the vinyl, with the buttons and everything. I thought maybe the old vinyl had peeled off and this was just the backing but no, this is the way the seats actually are. Am I missing something or is this how they are supposed to be normally? My VIN codes are Body 63A, Color H, Trim 74, Date 26G, Trans 4, Axle 3. Also, how many 60 Birds came with the antenna on the trunk vs. on the front fender? Did any of them have both? I just read a thread about rear seat foam, so if Mr. Jeb is still making it, that will be a new purchase for me in the future.
    Jimmy
    1960 HT in work
  • frank58
    Super-Experienced
    • May 28 2006

The trim code 74 is just what you say it is.

VINYL & NYLON CORD FABRIC
    (70 series)
    Nylon Cord
    Vinyl Bolster Fabric Insert
    74 .............. Dark Beige ............. Light Beige

I don't know of any actual info on the antenna issue.
    my '58 has it on trunk.
    rear seat foams are still being made from what I have read from Jed.

"I am still and will continue to serve the Tbird community in doing rear seat foam fabrications and steering wheel restorations."

do you have a shop manual, a restoration guide and VTCI OFS?
    you really should.
    Last edited by frank58; August 31, 2008, 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling... of course

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Framer as frank 58 mentioned in his post, the trim code you mentioned 74 is correct " fabric insert". That being said, it was not unusual at the time to have a " special order " interior seat package which was other than the normal. The other possibility is, that a previous owner perhaps had the seats redone to their current form. With respect to the rear antenna and how many 60's came with it, is difficult to say as I have seen many with both on the trunk and front fender. My 60HT has it in the trunk and I have never seen it on both, as it would not be practical.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Framer_guru
        Apprentice
        • Aug 1 2008

Thanks guys! No, Frank, I don't have a restoration book yet, but I am looking for one right now. I was wondering if I had a freaky car for a while. It has the spotlight on the drivers side, cloth seat centers, and weirdly enough, 2 antenannas, one on the trunk and one on the fender. Going to get rid of the fender one, weld shut the hole and clean it up. Not exactly sure why someone would have 2 on their cars... Now, are there vendors who sell seats with the nylon cord inserts instead of just vinyl? Or will I just have to get custom seats made? Again, thanks for all your help guys.
        Jimmy
        1960 HT in work

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎