• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Alternator to generator progress

Thought I'd start a new thread on this.

Richard, thank you, your post came in really handy. Yesterday I purchased some threaded rod as per your recommendation, got a alternator that was OE on a 90s (i Think) Camaro with air cond that had the mounts 'clocked' correctly. I went with a three wire. Bought some 30mmx3mm steel, and a some thick wall tubing.

Found an unused threaded hole in the head, used threaded rod to hang the alt. Richard, you suggested removing the fan and shroud, I assume to make room to slide the alternator on and off while mocking it up. I got lazy. Instead, I slid the threaded rod into the alternator mount, held the alternator in place and threaded the rod into the head.

Good job it's a lot lighter than the old generator! Slid it backwards and forwards till the belt lined up.

The main mounting boss on the alt had holes too small for the theaded rod, so drilled it out in the drill press.

There is a small threaded lug on the back of the alt, I made a steel bracket off that to the threaded rod, to provide extra support at the rear of the alternator.

As per your thread, I slid the tubing over the threaded rod, between the rear mount I made and the alternator bracket.

By the time I'd done that I had to quit as I was being a bit noisy at 11pm at night (neighbours and all).

I'll head off to the wrecking yard and see if I can find an slotted bracket that I can butcher to suit. That's tonight's job, then wire it all up.

I've made the brackets as I didn't want to cut up the originals.

Once it's all done and working I'll take it all out and detail and paint the brackets, fit lock washers etc etc.

Hopefully more progress tonight. I might be jinxing this, but it's going together a lot easier than I expected - thanks to Richard's excellent post.

Alistair
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Petrolhead; May 27, 2009, 04:35 PM.

Looks good!!!
    Glad to here my post help a little!
    Let us know how everything works when you get her running.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎