Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Ford Parts Catalog shows C3SZ-10156-C for the bracket and C3SZ-10145-A for the arm. The C3ME prefix in the drawing is probably the same. That's a Mercury part number.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

Good to have those numbers....thanx.
      I'll start on ebay again. Maybe wreaking yards also. I'm sure some of them are online.
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• c4clewis
        Experienced
        • Aug 18 2010

Jopizz is correct. I tried the shorter arm and it doesn't work. Like Dave said, I made one from some bar stock 20 years ago with no problems to date.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Ok...I threw in the towel....
          First let me say that many of you understand the enormity of a project of taking a beat up bird on it's way to the wrecking yard, dismantling it down to a garage floor full of parts, meticulously cleaning rebuilding and purchasing parts for said bird. So after awhile on each issue and there are literally hundreds of sub-project, you have to delegate a reasonable amount time to a project, then move on.
          One of these projects was weighing the common sense in keeping the 30 amp. generator or upgrading to an alternator. My hopes was to find somebody here that had the exact ford part numbers I needed to find and go on various "for sale" sites or wrecking yards to find them. That never happened.
          I found a guy on ebay and we had a many many back and forths as to whether what he had is what I needed. My research would show that an A or B at the end of a ford part number would distinguish whether it was a lower or upper mount. As our communication eroded over the course of days, I realized I was getting nowhere and needed to move forward with the project.
          I know I said that I did not want to buy the C.R.A.P. bracket. But at least I know it fits my 1961 390 (which I installed in my 60 bird) and has the adapter block to mimic the thread boss on the front of the block on the 63 and later blocks. I ordered a black powder coated one since Larry was out of the polished stainless ones and not sure if he would have any again. So in the spirit of moving forward...that is what I ordered. I didn't want to get wrapped up in weeks and weeks of ordering various Ford parts, only to be left with a pile of junk I didn't need or want to deal with.
          I was told by Larry that these brackets only accommodate Ford 1st generation alternators. So now I am at the beginning of that PITA research. You see, I'm not a car guy...I was a motorcycle guy that no longer wants to ride after 45 years of riding and the bird is fun. But I'm a bit of a lame duck when it comes to car stuff.
          So now I want to find a 3 wire, internally regulated 60-75amp. alternator. Wish me luck.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Martin, c'mon... You're the guy who makes brass window rollers so I KNOW you can fabricate a few brackets.

As I've said all along, find a bone yard alt that you feel is large enough then make your own brackets. If I can mount a 130-amp alt to my Y-Block, you can certainly mount just about anything to an FE.

You are looking for parts that never existed because the first alt's were not much better than generators. After Ford dropped FE engines, the big boy alt's came out, mostly for SBF and BBF engines.

I pulled a 75-amp alt out of my '90 Mustang 5.0 BUT the car came with a mechanical fan. That alt doesn't put out enough amps at idle speeds for an electric fan so I up graded it.

Don't be discouraged just because your part isn't sold over the counter. These cars are OLD and many parts must be fabricated. The only reason disk brake brackets are available is because someone fabricated a set, then they put them in production much like you with your brass window rollers. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
              Experienced
              • Jun 2 2010

Well the CRAP bracket is on its way. My goal is to have her running and driving by fall. Then go through her with a a fine tooth comb. I still have to do the headliner, window switches, BMW comfort seat rebuild, door gaskets and window felts....and yes, install my window rollers. Then there is the linkage modifications due to the Ford medium rise sidewinder intake manifold. And lets not forget the power steering connections which will be a challenge with the 430 modulating valve to the 390 power steering set up...and on and on. The alternator experiment had it's allotted time plus some.
              Remember...back down to Mexico in the fall and possibly a Pacific crossing. Then back for a route 66 run in the new/old girl.
              I never thought being retired required so much of my time.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎