X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Question about fasteners for Glovebox

I'm afraid I can't remember which fasteners hold the hinge plate of the glove box to the dash frame. I'm thinking they may be machine threads (perhaps 10-32's). Or maybe machine screw and nut. Anyone know?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I searched " glovebox installation " on our site and found this. Hope it helps.

The glovebox sits underneath the metal frame of my dash framework on the bottom. In other words, I cannot see the edge of the black cardboard material anywhere. There are a total of 5 screws to hold it - 3 on the bottom and one on each side. Similarly it sits above the framework on the top.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

Thanx Dan but not what I was looking for. That description almost describes the trim metal that covers the perimeter of the inside of the cardboard box itself which is 2 #10 flange head screws on each side and 3 #10 flange heads on the bottom.
      What I am looking for are on the hinge strip itself on the glove box door itself.
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If I remember correctly they are small hex head screws with a flat washer attached. Maybe Carl can verify this.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

I'm wondering if that is a sheet metal screw or a machine screw, like a 10-32?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure they are sheet metal screws that go into the dash frame. There's nothing in the frame that is threaded and it doesn't use nuts. Two of the screws go into the brace.

John

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure this the bolt you are describing. They hold the glove box hinge to the dash frame. I believe there are five altogether.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                Experienced
                • Jun 2 2010

I

Ok thanx John...probably a #10 hex head x 5/8" long. Am I correct in assuming it bites into the dash frame with no speed nut?

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are no fasteners as far as I remember. Three of them go right into the dash. The other two go into the brace that goes from the lower dash trim to the dash frame.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Now that I think about it there may be clips that hold three of the screws in place. The other two go through the dash and screw into the brace. It definitely does not use speed nuts.

John

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 2 2010

Are they the clip that is like a folded match cover, or the flat clip with a hole?

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure they are the type that fold over like a matchbook. If you don't have them Lowes or Home Depot have a decent selection. I can usually find something similar that will work.

John

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Dec 23 2008

Wouldn't this be shown in an assembly manual? I don't have a 58-60, but things like this are in my 55-57 & 61-63 books.

Not trying to cause trouble, Jus' sayin'......

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I looked in the Master Parts and Accessories manuals I have and neither list them for some reason. They don't even show on the exploded parts view for the glove box and dash assembly. I don't have a squarebird assembly manual.

John

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 2 2010

Thanx john...ok...that sounds great. I will look for those clips. I didn't want to install it more than once, if you know what I mean.
                              Joe... I did look in all the manuals I have plus source houses that carry "correct fasteners". They list nothing, hence my post here.
                              I appreciate all the help...thanx

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎