X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Tail light bulb removal

I'm doing a rewire after changing out my dash pad. I noticed that one of the brake lights are out. How do you remove the bulb receptacle? I looked in the owners and factory manual to no avail. I tried pulling the bulb receptacle from inside the truck. Tried rotating it. Do I have to dismantle the trim and remove the lens?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You have to turn the socket and pull it out. However there have been times when I was not able to do it in the car. I had to take the entire unit out and do it outside the car.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Martin:
      I had problems with my bulb sockets also. I found that things are spring loaded inside the socket, and over the years they get rusted and tend to seize up. Once I got the sockets out of the housing, I was having a heck of time getting the bulb out. Again caused by rust etc.
      I removed the bulb and then the rubber boot on the back of the socket. The center electrical contact board will then come out and expose the springs inside the socket. I cleaned everything up and put a bunch of silicone grease inside the socket and then reassembled. Now the sockets can be removed with no problem as well as replacing the bulb without worrying about breaking the glass.
      You may try to pull the rubber boot back and spray some WD40 in the socket and let it sit for a while. Then go back and try to push the socket towards the tail light housing while trying to rotate it. This would beat removing the entire housing.
      Nyles
      Attached Files

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Ok...Rotating and pulling worked. I didn't want to break anything Maybe I'll use dielectric grease on re-assembly...Thanx
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Martin, I have a technique that I always use on bayonet sockets..

I grab the wires (one or two, all it has) and I pull. I don't mean you yank it back but finesse the pigtail by pulling it a few times so the contacts separate.

After you have it pulled back, turn the bulb. It now has no spring pressure and it should slide around in the socket. Work it back and forth to find the 'cam lock' pins free from their slots. Then let go of the pigtail.

When you get the bulb out, slide the wires into the socket from the back. They should emerge out the front exposing the micarta pin holder and the spring behind it. Notice there are 'guide notches' to keep the micarta oriented so it won't turn with the bulb.

When inserting the new bulb I reverse the procedure by pulling back the wires, turn the bulb in, then release.

My cousin recently changed bulbs in his vintage Coleman trailer. When he connected the plug and turned on lights, his cable became warm and no lights. I found that he inserted an 1157 bulb and gorilla-ed the thing in because it wouldn't go. I got the bulb out and noticed one of the wires on that micarta was pulled over to the side and touching the shell (which shorted the parking lights). I straightened the wires, pulled back the pigtail and the bulb nearly dropped right in, just like the above. It's all good, but I scratch my head and ask, '..how can a guy with a '57 Chevy and two Amphicars be such a ditz?' - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎