• Show
Clear All
  • frank58
    Super-Experienced
    • May 28 2006

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
    interesting post.

to take care of other various issues.
    a very good reason........... lots of stuff under there you don't want to fix later.

IMHO removing the dash is the "proper" way to do a restoration.
    it's more tedious fitting to the car but you have the opportunity to fit and affix the pad properly to the steel dash providing a more solid dash....
    just my personal opinion....

that does not mean it's the only way. when all is done the job will look the same.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I plan to:

1. get the wipers converted to electric.
      2. get my heater and defroster working again.
      3. cleaning up the rat's nest of wiring.
      4. installing a new firewall insulation board/mat/whatchamacallit.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trying to remove Dash

Regarding the dash pad removal, I have added a comment that the dash pad can be replaced without removing the metal frame. However, as noted in other posts, there are benefits to taking the dash pad and the frame out completely.

jopizz has sent me a copy of the 1976 Scoop article written so many years ago on replacing the dash. I am in contact with Terri McNeill, the VTCI President on permission to publish it. She has never seen the article and it interested in reading it herself. So I sent it to her with a notation that many Squarebirds.org members are also VTCI members and it would be nice to be able to provide newer members who, like herself, never saw this 1976 published article. I am awaiting her response.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by YellowRose
          Regarding the dash pad removal, I have added a comment that the dash pad can be replaced without removing the metal frame.

Where did you add it? Because I have not seen it.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

Ughhh!!! Finally...Martin
            Attached Files
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trying to remove dash

Congratulations on getting it out. You could have unscrewed the turn signal bar and the tranny bar and got them out of the way also. Now you can really get to components that will be much easier to get to. Now is the time to replace parts that have never been replaced since it left the factory. If you have ignition wiring to do, or to clean up, or replacement of the ignition switch, or light switch, now is a good time to do it. Do any other work that needs to be done in that area while the dash is out. Like lubing your speedo cable, replacing lights, fuses, maybe the CVR unit if you want to go with a solid state one. Or if it is not working, now is the time to replace it with an OEM type if you want to stay with that.

You mentioned that you did not see where I added a statement that some members have replaced their dash pads without pulling the frame. Look again at the Technical Resource Library.... I put it there shortly after the suggestion to add that statement was made. I have another great article from 1976 on dash pad replacement that jopizz sent me. However, I am still waiting for VTCI approval to use it since it was published in the VTCI Scoop back in 1976.

Dashpad
              •Alexander Sosiak On Dashpad Replacement
              It has been noted by several owners that these dashpad's
              can be replaced without taking the metal frame out.
              •Dennis Vieira-Dash Pad Replacement

•Dashes Direct

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                Experienced
                • Jun 2 2010

CVR Ray? Whats that? I( tried a search on it using CVR and "CVR" but it tells me it's less than 4 words.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  You mentioned that you did not see where I added a statement that some members have replaced their dash pads without pulling the frame. Look again at the Technical Resource Library.... I put it there shortly after the suggestion to add that statement was made. I have
                  Sorry still not seeing it. I figured it would either be on the tech page where the intructions are or at the top of the instructions in bold letters.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 2 2010

Ok...Figured it out by searching in some vendors catalogues...Constant Voltage Regulator. Where can I find the electronic one?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trying to remove Dash

Look in your shop manual and you will find out more about your CVR or Constant Voltage Regular unit. It is a little rectangular box, probably mounted to piece of the dash frame for grounding. The reason why a CVR unit is used is because our gauges in these old Tbirds are 6V gauges! One of the reasons our gauges can go out on us is because, for whatever reason, the CVR unit has failed and allowed 12V to go through the unit over to the output side of the CVR unit. If that happens, it can take out the wiring to the fuel gauge and temperature gauge. The wiring from the back of these gauges to the gauge itself inside, is thin. One side is the 12V input side. Between the input and output connectors is a system that drops the voltage down to the point where the voltage is fluctuating below 6V, as I understand it. That voltage goes out the output side to the back of the gauge and down the wiring to the gauge and does not overheat it.

I see you found out what CVR stands for. After having a couple of CVR units go out on me, I decided to pay the extra amount and get the solid state version. As I recall, that is also in the Technical Resource Library. Speaking of that, I see you still do not see the additional statement that I put in about being able to replace the dash pad without taking the metal frame out. If you see the graphic of the black dash pad in the TRL, where it talks about replacing the dash pad, that statement is right between that of how Alexander did it and one of the other guys did it, right below it. It is right between the two. If you still do not see it, try taking down your browser and bringing it back up again, because it should be looking you in the face....

Here is a picture of what the solid state CVR looks like. The OEM version in your car should look a lot like it, except it will not have a green face on it. As you can see, the post marked IGN is where your wire from there hooks up to provide the 12V to the CVR unit. The other side is the stepped down output connector where the wire to the back of the Fuel/Temp gauge goes. It goes to the fuel gauge part, as I recall and then is jumpered to the Temp part of the gauge so it can get its voltage to work. I bought my solid state CVR unit, IVR3 from Auto Instruments Corp., www.autoinstruments.com Phone number 276-647-5553. Of course, you could save yourself about $25-$30 and buy the OEM one from one of Tbird parts places, IF yours needs to be replaced. If you do, ask them who manufactures that OEM style CVR. I was told by several Tbird parts houses that the version being made in China had a high failure rate...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by YellowRose; June 6, 2011, 12:45 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

• redstangbob
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 18 2011

Although I have a different generation tbird, the CVR problem is common. Don't waste time or money on an original replacement type from the vendors, they are JUNK!!. I made my own from a Radio Shack part, but there are other alternatives. Take a look at this from just last week. http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...tage+Regulator... Good luck, Bob C

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trying to remove Dash

Since I was informed recently that Radio Shack no longer carries that part, I took the reference to Radio Shack out of the TRL. However, as Bob says, the CVR unit was in use for many years on our Tbirds and other Fords. So you might try one of those. A CVR is a CVR. They do the same thing ours does. Adapt 12V to something that our 6V gauges can handle without taking them out.

Comment

• c4clewis
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 18 2010

Originally posted by c4clewis
                            several fasteners holding the dash on:
                            1 on each side "ear" that screws to the bulge in front of the door
                            7(or so) screws just under the windshield molding
                            2 at the streering column mount

It does stick. Don't be afraid to wriggle it around to free it.

I forgot about the 2 bolts (4 total) on the underside of the dash on either side.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1976 VTCI Scoop Article-Dash Replacement

Permission was received from the VTCI President today to allow us to use the 1976 VTCI Scoop article by Carl Davis on replacing the dash pad in our Squarebirds. So now you have another article to go by. Thanks to jopizz for bringing it to my attention and sending me the copy. You will find it with the other Dash Pad Replacement articles in the Technical Resource Library. Just look for the black Dashpad.

Comment

• Anders
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jan 19 2008

IMG_5075.jpgI need to bump this tread as I thinking of taking out the dash. Metal included... Mainly for painting, but I need to check the article in the TRL first to see if it will be more easy to take it out or to paint while it's in the car. It's a bit corroded and trying to sand, prime and paint it upside down in there don't feel comfortable... My dash looks a little bit different than the original. It's in vinyl with stitches and with a chrome bezel halfway in at the instrument cluster and the glovebox. Inside the bezel is painted metal. And I like to keep the concept so I nee to paint... No windshield in the car. Might help?...
                                Bought a electric viper motor also and I guess it is easier to put that in when the dash is out?
                                Last edited by Anders; February 13, 2022, 07:05 PM.
                                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎