X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Window regulator roller assembly

Can anyone tell me the sequence of the window regulator roller assembly? There is a thrust washer and I was wondering if it goes above the spring or below against the arm?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

roller, window track, beveled washer, spring, flat washer, then the weird-shaped clip
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
      roller, window track, beveled washer, spring, flat washer, then the weird-shaped clip
      Ahhhh.so the washer is between the spring and clip?
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

yes

some of the parts catalogs also show photos of this little assembly

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

I might add to this thread that it is important to inspect the roller body for damage or out of round. This comes into play when adjusting your windows, specially the quarter windows. If the roller will not turn or slide freely you will never have consistent window operation.
          Carl

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Yup. that's why I had some new ones machined out of solid brass.

Comment

Seems I've been ...

!#!!$*# around with those **** things forever. Rebuilt every thing in there and screwed around with them till my head was ready to explode. I think the only way to get them to work right is to get out a clean sheet of paper. I added A/C last year and I'm ready to just secure them permanently in place. Mike

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

The solid brass bushings are the magic bullet for the rear quarter windows. O.D. of the bushing needs to be a few thousandths smaller than the track in the quarter window.

This worked for me.

tmjsong from Sun Prairie, WI figured it out a long time ago, and then told me his secret

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

As a retired pattern maker/machinist I can see the value of the brass rollers and the ease of making this part - even in a home shop. You may have something you can make and sell here! Wouldn't take long to make a few and post them for sale and maybe consider making rollers for other Birds, but the buyer would have to send you a sample or the dimensions. Could be a good winter or hobby project and a way to help other Birders out of a continuing problem.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

I had a buddy who runs a CNC machine at a fab shop make them for me last winter.

I sent a few emails to some of the t-bird parts companies, but never got any replies back .

A person still has to buy the junk white nylon reproduction pieces cuz you need the spring, washer, and weird-shaped clip.

I dont know if an aluminum alloy would be cheaper than brass. Cant make 'em outa plain old steel cuz the roller might wreck the pot-metal window track.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 2 2010

I saw the plastic ones on ebay for I think $11a set. My stock ones were still useable but I'm sure I'll be screwing with them in the future. The brass ones diffinately would be the way to go but you'd have to machine about 100 sets and sell them to make a profit. Maybe make 20 sets and advertise them here and see how you do...JMHO

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Dec 23 2008

We used to do a lot of jobs like that to help guys with various hobbies. Always interesting work and you never knew what would show up. Brass is definitely the best choice but if you are paying a machine shop, the labor is probably the biggest cost. Aluminum would last many years and easy to machine. Best bet is to have someone you know make a few now and then. Still if anyone has a lathe and a mill in their home shop, here is a simple part that may be able to be sold in small lots.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 30 2009

I'll see if my buddy can work up a price per unit, but he's kind of a "free spirit" and not real easy to pin down to timeframes and deadlines, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea what brass costs, but I bet his machine can spit em out pretty quick. I hope he saved the program he wrote for the piece....

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎