X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Rebuilding window motors from a 60

Apparently the 60 birds have a slightly different window motor in them. The commutator being at the bottom of the case instead of on the shaft end. Here is a pictorial of the dismantle and refurbishing of them. Please note that I never changed the brushes since on the 5 I have rebuilt, all the brushes had lots of material left...enjoy
    Attached Files
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Next steps
    Attached Files
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

Are you with me?
      Attached Files

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

...and there you have it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Martin, you have done a great job taking pictures, annotating them, and posting to benefit the restorers on this forum. Your pictures are crisp, properly exposed, and they cover every part of these motors. I can't say or thank you enough for sharing your hard work. Seeing the insides of window motors will encourage others to refurbish their broken motors and keep these wonderful Squarebirds alive and working well.

With your blessings, I would like to redirect this writeup into a more permanent HTM format. We could then include it in our Technical Resource Library and give you proper credit. It belongs along side Mike's switch, because the motor and switch are separate but essential components of, 'Power Windows'. The TRL makes any topic easier for other restorers to find and the pictures will reside in a specific folder instead of, 'out there someplace' in a nondescript PHP file. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Nice job ...

I did my rears last year, still need to do the fronts. That's a good sized chuck you have there. What kind and size lathe is it? I have a 1946 10x36 Craftsman/Atlas, but I keep looking for something heavier. Mike

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
              Experienced
              • Jun 2 2010

Thank you for the kind words. As you may be able to tell, I am a Tool Maker/Machinist. The lathe in the picture is a Webb (now chinese) which is where I work (high tech ind.). It is a 14"x36". At home I also have a complete shop. My lathe there is a Harrison 13"x36" (1960 made in England. It's funny because my shop at home is much nicer and much more accurate than work.
              Actually, if the commutator is not too bad, a person could chuck it in a drill press and use scotchbrite.
              Dave feel free to do anything you wish with the post and no credit to me is due. My goal is and has been for years is to enhance American products and lend a hand when ever I can to teach people the value of American product and how to restore American items that were always meant to be serviced (restoring the US one t-bird at a time). Funny coming from a person originally born in Canuckland.
              Anyone else attempting this, please feel free to contact me for help...Martin

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

I would've never understood this without the photos. Thanks---

It doesnt look like too tough of a task now.

Questions: The "bearing retainer" that was riveted...... I'm not following what exactly was done there. Drill out some rivets somewhere, then pop-rivet them back in place later? And where was that round piece that got snapped in two?
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Martin,

On the drive end of the motor, you removed the two studs early on. Could you explain the reason why that step was neccessary. From the photo and tutorial this wasn't clear to me. Thanks.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• partsetal
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 4 2005

Martin,
                    Do you use a growler to check the integrity of the armature?
                    Carl

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Great sequential photos and instructions etc.

Keep 'em coming!
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 2 2010

I'm sorry I wasn't clean about the rivet thing. When I first started to rebuild these, I found out the hard way that the shafts need to be spotless and turn freely and the shafts should be lubed with penetration oil to aid in drifting the shaft loose. In a later picture you will see a broken retaining spring disc with an "opps" beside it. You see, if the shaft drags through the bearing, binding on it, it will snap the spring clip in two. Therefore, I had to drill the rivits in only that one to repair my screw-up. Live and learn. Being a Machinist and a cheapskate, I made my own rivits and stole a clip from a dead motor partsal sent me. Thanx for the question and you r car inspires me and therefore "Angelina".

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                        I would've never understood this without the photos. Thanks---

It doesnt look like too tough of a task now.

Questions: The "bearing retainer" that was riveted...... I'm not following what exactly was done there. Drill out some rivets somewhere, then pop-rivet them back in place later? And where was that round piece that got snapped in two?

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                          Experienced
                          • Jun 2 2010

In order to rotate the drive shaft, the studs are in the way of turning it on the scotchbrite wheel. The studs hold the halves together, so they should be removed. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by GTE427
                          Martin,

On the drive end of the motor, you removed the two studs early on. Could you explain the reason why that step was neccessary. From the photo and tutorial this wasn't clear to me. Thanks.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by partsetal
                            Martin,
                            Do you use a growler to check the integrity of the armature?
                            Carl
                            I do not. Not something I used since when I worked in a Harley shop. So, my method of testing (because they go together so quickly) is when I power them up and try to stop them with my index finger and thumb, the rotating shaft burns my fingers before it stops the motor...Therefore good to go...You're probably laughing and shaking your head reading this...Martin

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by 60 T-Bird
                              I do not. Not something I used since when I worked in a Harley shop. So, my method of testing (because they go together so quickly) is when I power them up and try to stop them with my index finger and thumb, the rotating shaft burns my fingers before it stops the motor...Therefore good to go...You're probably laughing and shaking your head reading this...Martin
                              Sorry I have been away from the forum so long. I am traveling by sailboat these days.
                              I wanted to add that these motors are also the same as the power seats.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎