X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elijahbird7
    Experienced
    • Nov 12 2013

Transmission Dipstick spew out

I put my 59 away for the winter in my garage about 4 weeks before the garage door opener light burnt out. In order to get my ladder to access the burnt out bulbs, I needed to back it up about 6 feet. I started it, and immediately put it in reverse and backed up, shut it off, replaced the bulb, started it again and put it back in it's spot. Then I noticed a trail of transmission fluid on the floor under the passenger side. I checked under the hood, and could see that it had come out of the top of the dipstick tube, and drained down the engine compartment fender well. The next day, I decided to make a rolled paper towel plug and place it about an inch into the dipstick tube. This time, I let it idle for about 5 minutes in Park, then shifted it to N for about 5 minutes more, then back and forth from R to D, and let it idle in D for a few more minutes. Pulled out the paper towel plug, and not a drop of transmission fluid was on it.
    So, was the cause of the spew just putting it in Reverse as soon as I started it because fluid had leaked down to the pan from another part of the transmission while it sat for a month?
    Also noticed that the rubber at the top of the dipstick was hard, old and split, so got a new dipstick to replace that one.
    I will let it warm up a little from now on when it has been sitting, and hoping not to need a rebuild just yet.
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

MY (possibly wrong) thoughts are the car sat long enough for the torque converter to drain fluid into the transmission. Shifting quickly into gear did not give enough time for all of the fluid to return and at that point was overfilled spewing the ATF out the nearest opening. Letting the car run a bit let the levels stabilize. I wouldn't worry about it until Spring and then check the level of the ATF according to the directions in your manual.

Comment

• elijahbird7
      Experienced
      • Nov 12 2013

I agree with you completely. The first person I asked is my older brother who owns a tractor repair business. He was sure it was the transmission cooling section in the radiator leaking coolant into the transmission fluid. The radiator and cooling lines were replaced about a year ago, so that didn't make sense. I checked the radiator overflow tank, and it was exactly where it should be, and there was no oil floating in there..
      2nd friend, a retired mechanic said there should be a transmission vent that could be clogged. I checked the Shop Manual, and couldn't find anything about a vent.
      So, I will just make sure to let it run awhile before putting it in gear after it has been hibernating.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's a small vent fitting on the passenger side of the transmission. My last Thunderbird transmission was building up pressure and spewing it out the dipstick tube. The fitting has a cap over it that's supposed to let air out but it was rusted shut. Once I loosened the cap it stopped leaking.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• elijahbird7
          Experienced
          • Nov 12 2013

Do you know of any diagrams that show where that is? I looked at all of the diagrams in the Shop Manual, and didn't see any reference to where it is.

Comment

• olevet
            Experienced
            • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by elijahbird7
            Do you know of any diagrams that show where that is? I looked at all of the diagrams in the Shop Manual, and didn't see any reference to where it is.
            What transmission do you have, already been said but i remember My Dad always letting a car warm up before ever shifting it, Mine has a Tube that curves over the top of the Trans from drivers side to passenger side , its on top . Make sure its clear or has been said the vent cap is loose
            Good luck

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by elijahbird7
              Here's a picture of the transmission I borrowed from Dave Dare's rebuild site. I rotated it to look as it would be mounted in the car. You can see it in the upper right corner above the cooler line. It's just a fitting with a round cap over it. The cap is pressed on and should move freely allowing air to escape.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• elijahbird7
                Experienced
                • Nov 12 2013

Thanks John, always great knowledge and experience on this site!

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You're welcome. That's why we're here.

John

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎