Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

61 fuel tank

My 'bird was built in April of '61. I am in need of a new fuel tank, mine is leaking when it is filled above a half tank. What I am wondering is what is the difference in the tanks between pre 8/1961 and after 8/1961? The prices for tanks for the early 61's is outrageous compared to the later models. Could I install a later model tank and if so, what mods would I have to do? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Wayne,
    I done some digging and searching. Did not find anything different on different gas tanks for your 1961 Thunderbird. So I went to Ebay and there listed was a gas tank and he said it will not work on pre September 1961's only will work on post 1961's to 1963's. The item number is #390079473772. That is the only place I found anyone mentioning any difference in the gas tanks!
    Let me know if that helps or you need anything else!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• raptor1962
      • Jul 11 2006

Richard, I appreciate the reply, but I need a little more help. Ebay is where I was looking at tanks and found the two different listings for them. I am just wondering if I could buy a later tank, say 62-63, and save some cash. I just need to know if there is any major differences in them or if I can just install the later model tank in my 61. Thanks.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

61 fuel tank

Wayne, the one person who can probably give you the exact answer to your question is Alan Tast. Alan H. Tast, AIA Send him a Private Message (PM) to see what he says. Alan is, in my opinion, the premier authority on Tbirds alive today. Hopefully, he will come online this weekend, see your question, and answer it for you. If not, click on his name, and send him a PM and ask him. If he does not know, I will be very suprised. Or maybe one of the Bulletbird owners knows the answer also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

61 fuel tank

Wayne, I have been doing some research for you on the VTCI Forum. Here are a couple of things I found for you. Posted by mattrparks..

The '61 tank and filler tube is different from the '63...I got a new one that said for "61-63" but my filler tube and hose didn't match...easy fix though, get a metal exhaust joint with the right OD and put the hose around it.

Posted by Alan Tast in 2005

New, reproduction gas tanks are a godsend for us, but there can be some problems. First, '61 tanks were made differently in that they used a reinforced rubber hose and clamps to connect the tank to the fuel inlet tube. '62-'63 relied on the inlet tube sliding into the tank through a large rubber/neoprene O-ring which is a specialty item. If you install the tube and tear the O-ring, try to get a replacement from the place you got the tank or one of the T-bird parts vendors.

It sounds to me like the first guy got it figured out how to fix the problem.. Ray

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎