X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Under hood insulation

Hi Guys, I am reasonably new here. I have been reading a lot but have never posted before. Great stuff here though, I congratulate you all. I live "down under" and have a 1960 Coupe that I am in the throes of restoring. I get a lot of my parts from the vendors nominated on this site and have to say that they have all been great so far. My question is, what product do you use to attach the insulation under the hood?
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Peel off the fiberglass insulation material (Ford's of the era never came w/that!) But the paper backing is passable.
    Use 3M trim adhesive. Spray a light coat on the inr hood area. Then apply a thicker coat to the material. Wait about a minute for it to get tacky. Make sure your pretty close when you "lick it n stick it" You have about 3 seconds to adjust it, then it's on there (for good)

Comment

• Penelope
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 4 2008

Thank you John, much appreciated.

Bill (car name is Penelope)
      sigpicBill

Comment

Bill I ordered those insulation pads and found them to be pretty much useless.I used them as templates,then cut out two pieces of each pattern from an old piece of felt paper I had in the shed leftover from a patch job I did on the roof of my house.It is kinda like tar paper.50 lbs I think.Use the 3M extra strength spray glue to join two pieces of each pattern together and then glue them to hood.Here is how it looks.

Comment

• ncbird
          Experienced
          • Jan 5 2008

underhood

Bill yours looks great especially against that red. I just ordered a complete acoustics kit from Quiet Ride solutions as well as their firewall insulator. It is supposed to come with hood and deck insulation. If it doesnt look as good as yours I am going the roofing felt way. Gorgeous car. Grant
          Grant
          NCbird on the Coast of NC
          "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

Penelope
            Great Job looks great how long did it take to cut them out
            BobM

Comment

• Penelope
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 4 2008

George, thank you as I am not overly impressed with the set I bought via a catalogue. What you have used makes sense and also looks fabulous against the flame red.

To Grant & Bob, thanks for the compliments but that is Georges car, not mine....I think my User name of Penelope (which is actually what I call my bird) is confusing people...

Bill
              sigpicBill

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill thanks for clearing the name thing up as " Penelope" is a great name for your 60.On your profile that's quite the selection of cars you have.

Dano Calgary.Alberta Canada
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hi Bob,the wife cut out the patterns with a pair of scissors and I glued them together and on to the car in about an hour.Use plenty of extra strength glue between the pieces,then I think I use construction adhesive to glue them to the hood.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

There is no way to reproduce the orig, because Ford in their infinite wisdom set that heavy tar paper or whatever that stuff is in the hood before the joined the two halfs together. The same cr__ is inside the deck lid.
                    The heavy roofing paper is an excellent idea (if) the glue is strong enough to hold it up. My thought was something (close) to orig W/O making a huge project out of it. I've seen it done. While again, not looking exact, it looks pretty good, like the pic of the red one.

I have the insl kit and I have removed the "fuzz". Yet to install it on the car. It's about 25 things down my list.

Comment

• Penelope
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 4 2008

Cars

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                      Bill thanks for clearing the name thing up as " Penelope" is a great name for your 60.On your profile that's quite the selection of cars you have.

Dano Calgary.Alberta Canada
                      Hi Dano, the list of cars has grown as the kids have reached driving age...my son & I are into the old cars, with "his" car being the Chev, mine the Bird and the old Holden is a joint project (I pay, he does).

The other cars are the daily drivers for all of us, but I have the unique situation of living some 1800 miles away from where we keep the Bird, so it's a long distance love affair. The kids all live there too, so they "look after" her for me. I like driving the Bird, (which is left hand drive) more than my 545i. There is no substitute for style!!
                      sigpicBill

Comment

John I used construction adhesive to glue them to the hood.I wish I had used it to glue the pieces together,I looked at them this weekend the the two pieces are starting to come apart.If any of you guys use this method use the construction adh.between the pieces.
                        If you are interested in why I used 2 pieces on each panel is the thickness fits nice a flush.

Comment

• 430bird60
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 30 2008

Under Hood Insulation

I'm getting ready to touch up the underside of my 60's hood. Going to replace the insulation with roofing paper. Around the edge of the opening for the air cleaner it looks like there is some sort of seal and it is very brittle. Anyone know what material it is? Could it be the edge of the old insulation that has just rolled up from heat? Also, the underside of the hood appears to have been sprayed with undercoating. I don't recall having seen that before. I'm wondering if that was factory or done by a prior owner. Thanks for any replies.
                          Ken

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

No squarebird hoods were undercoated. There should only be paint to match the body color and tar paper. I've had many 1960's however that did not have tar paper. There should not be anything around the air cleaner opening either. If there is it was added by a previous owner.

John
                            Last edited by jopizz; August 30, 2018, 10:06 AM.
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 430bird60
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 30 2008

Okay. Thanks, John. I didn't think they were undercoated.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎