• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brushwolf
    Experienced
    • Jul 18 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
    Mike:
    Can't say for sure what Ford sealant manual says, but I used dum dum strip caulk to seal the holes where the retaining bolts go through the body for the panel between the rear window and trunk. I also pop riveted some small plates over the square holes and made sure they were sealed. We'll see if others have any other recommendation.
    Nyles
    Still fixing the brackets on the underside of the panel, though it is taking so much time I am not sure whether I should have just looked for another panel.

Appears that there was a foam piece around the weld nut on the bracket and also some non-hardening sealant on the lower part it bolts to.

Looks in my case like it succeeded in keeping water from getting through for a long while since the brackets are in much worse shape than the body under it, which I would normally consider a good thing.

I will probably do similar to you as far as finding some kind of non-hardening caulk to try to imitate what the factory did somewhat.

Mike H

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I just looked in the Trim and Sealant manual, and it appears there was a thick foam gasket that went between the body and trim panel where the bolt goes through. They also recommended using a sealant besides the gasket. I could try and take a picture, but the T&S manual is not great quality, since they are all copies of reproductions.
      Nyles

Comment

• Brushwolf
        Experienced
        • Jul 18 2015

Yes, I have a 1995 copy of Trim and Sealant Manual and in it they explain that some parts are very difficult to read as they were copied off very old originals.

I took one of the non-hardening plumbers-putty-like "dam" pieces off the car today. You can see them still in place on pics I posted a couple days ago. Didn't want to remove them until I had a plan or replacements.

In this pic, the piece on the left is the thick square (apparently foam) washer or gasket that was on the lower end of each of the panel bracket's weld-nuts and the piece on the right is the still-flexible "dam" that sat on the body and presumably designed to be squeezed down to a waterproof(?) seal when each bolt was tightened.

So, the piece on the left was on top of and squeezed against the piece on the right when assembled.

Mike H
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brushwolf; September 7, 2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎