• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Welcome rwassom

Hi Richard!

Welcome to Squarebirds! I see you live in Eastern Australia and own a '63 BulletBird! We are certainly glad to have a new member in Australia join our Forum. We would love to see some pictures of your BulletBird and an accounting of the restoration of your Bird. We have many of the greatest Tbird Techies in the world on this Forum. If you have questions, need help, this is the place to post. I just approved your membership and you are now a Registered Member, so post away! If I can be of assistance to you, just PM me.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Richard also welcome to our site, as it is always nice to have another member from Australia. As Yellowrose mentioned if we can help out at all or help navigate our site drop us a e-mail.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Welcome Richard
      You will find this site very easy to use and there are many Birders who will be glad to try and help you at any time and we all can learn from new members many things
      Bob M

Comment

• rwassom
        • Jan 23 2009

Thanks! You'd be surprised how many '61 to '66 Thunderbirds are down here in Australia. I'm a "Yank" who's been down under for about 12 years and two years ago I decided to find an old "Yank Tank" to enjoy. My T-Bird is the first car that I looked at and it was definately love at first sight. I looked at a few other cars (Mopars mostly) before deciding on the Thunderbird but none of them had the style.

My car is in mostly original condition but was repainted some time ago in the original Raven Black. The interior is in pretty good condition with only a couple of minor splits in the seats. Mechanically she is very sound.

I don't plan to do much to her except maintain the current condition. If she was "perfect" I would be afraid to use her. As it is, we get her out about once every two to three weeks.

I have been reading the threads on disk brake conversions because that's the one upgrade I am seriously considering. Two weeks ago I met another T-Bird owner ('61 Hardtop) who only lives about three miles from me. He has done a conversion using parts from an early '70's Falcon (Yes, they still make Falcons down here.) and apparently it went together pretty easily.

Cheers

Ps. I'll post a picture when I figure out how.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Welcome rwassom

Hi Richard!

Thanks for the update on your '63 Bulletbird! I am pleased to hear that there are a good number of '61-'66 Tbirds there! I would love to have a picture of a gaggle of Tbirds together for some local Show & Shine event. I am always looking for good pictures for the next cover of the Squarebirds Calendar for 2010! 2009 featured the Tbirds of Sweden.

I see you got bit by the "Tbird Bug" also. I did when I was sitting on top of a mountain at a radar site in Alaska in 1958/59! The '59's had just come out and were being featured in some car magazine I was reading. I wanted one and when I got back to the Lower 48, I was determined to get one. Until the wife shot that down. To expensive! After all, they were nearly $4,000 new! (A steal for sure today!) Being a 3 striper in the Air Force, we could not afford it. So we settled for a red Falcon! Probably at half the price. But I made that dream come true in November of 2007! Just as I did for a Gulbransen Rialto II organ that same year! Dreams can come true, but sometimes you have to wait awhile!

I am glad to hear that your Tbird is in mostly original condition, and mechanically very sound. I see you are thinking of going the disk brake route with her. You are lucky you live so close to another owner who has gone the disk brake conversion route with his '61 Bulletbird. He will be able to advise and assist you should you do the same thing. Imagine using '70 Falcon parts!

As for posting pictures, we would love to have some of your Bird, and I would love to have some good digital ones for the next calendar. 300dpi or 3,000+ pixels should do it. I need high quality pictures that can be made into 11x8.5" calendar pages. You can email those to me at rayclark07@gmail.com Posting pictures here can be done one of two ways. Paid members get to post their pictures directly on the forums. It is one of the benefits they get for being a paid member and supporting the forum. Unpaid members often go to a free photo website, like photobucket.com and create their own account. Then you can post an entry on the forums to that account so people can see your Tbird. And we love to see pictures of others Birds, especially original ones, and hear what they are doing with theirs. A third way would be to send the pictures to me and I can post them for you.

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself and your Tbird! Does she have a name?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• rwassom
            • Jan 23 2009

Thanks for the info on posting pictures. I will probably forward them on to you as my computer skills are pretty poor and doing a link sounds complicated.

Since owning my bird I've really come to appreciate how innovative they were in their day. I am trying to convince the wife that we need a '65 bird to keep ours company in the garage. She really likes the look of them so I'm half way there. Now I just need to win the lottery. Hah.

Cheers,

Rich

Ps. Our bird is called Rocky, short for Rocket Bird.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Richard the concept of a " Two Bird " family is a very good one and also one that the both of you can do together. I bought my wife a 58HT called " Maggie " and then I bought a 60HT called " Max " and we take both to a lot of S&S.This is something that we can do together and also allows us 5-6 hours of doing nothing and meet a lot of great people along the way. As your wife likes the looks of the Tbird now is a good time to discuss it with her and get another one.

Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡