X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Poker Run 2010

Perth WA's biggest car cruise is Big Al's Poker Run and this years event saw 900 cars at the show & shine and at least 600 on the following cruise / poker run.

I took both of my birds with my son-in-law driving my 59. In my usual fashion I didnt take a camera as I am not a good shutterbug BUT there was a keen T-Bird photographer at the first checkpoint that was manned by a local hot rod club, the Cranksters. They were dressed in pirates outfits and made light work of anyone that argued! Or should that be arrrrgued.

Here are some photos of my 59, me and a navigator in my 60, a black 59 and a white 58 convertible that had 59 doors on it (go figure) and a continental kit.

A great day was had by all and my son won a bar fridge with his 63 Bel Air. Only fair as a tree branch broke off in the S & S and landed on his car (big dents and scratches).
    Attached Files
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill those poker runs are a blast and hats off to the club for putting it together. 600 cars on a run, outstanding. What's up with the 58 convert and the 59 doors??
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hey Bill,
      Man, that picture of your '60 is awesome! She is gorgeous!
      I see your outside mirrors are mounted further towards the front of the car. Is that a good location? On Christine they are back towards the door and are about useless.
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Hi Richard, yeah they work well there! Some of the photo's I posted didnt size right (probably operator error!!)

Here is another go at it
        Attached Files
        sigpicBill

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Poker Run 2010

Here is more of the story that Bill sent me.

This domain may be for sale!

Click on that link and then click on all the links within it to see more great pix! This is quite the event, considering the number of cars that are there! Enjoy!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
            Bill those poker runs are a blast and hats off to the club for putting it together. 600 cars on a run, outstanding. What's up with the 58 convert and the 59 doors??
            How can you tell, or do you know, that white convert is a 1958?

-Jon in TX.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dutchbird
              Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi Bill,

Great pics, especially the one with both your Birds at the entrance!

First thing that came up in my head for a subtitle:
              "Never leave your Wingman..."

Comment

• Penelope
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by tbird430
                How can you tell, or do you know, that white convert is a 1958?

-Jon in TX.
                It has a 58 grille and the front script for a 58, 58 gun sights etc....but the real kicker - the license plate was 58BIRD. I tried to find the guy at the S & S to speak to him and ask him why it had 59 doors but couldnt find him. My guess is that parts like doors would be VERY expensive to get over here in OZ so methinks he went with what may have been available. If that is the case, one assumes he had them painted, so why not take the time to get the script etc right? Of course, he might just like the look of the 59 door spears, who knows?

Either way, we have another cruise tonight that is part of the whole summer sun cruising festival this week, so I hope to catch him there and solve the mystery.
                sigpicBill

Comment

• Wyldie
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 22 2016

Hey that was my grandfathers 58. The answer to you question about the doors is simple. My grandfather was far from purist. He simple like the look of the Chrome door arrows better. He also had 60 gauges in it cause he liked the white face better than the black.

Car is full opted power seats, a/c, steering, brakes. Has 15" rims, off memory they were a touch big and did rub close to full lock, but look good

My dad found the car rusted out in the bush here in Australia. Basically they cut the left and right sides off a coupe and put them on the convertible. When my grandfather sold the car he also sold it with the original 58 doors and the fibreglass 2 seater top cover and an entire trailer load of parts.

The car looks good, but it was rebuilt when the old man was 16. So about 1967 so aesthetically it looks good, but suspension rubbers, wheel bearings, brakes all getting on a bit. It also has a 390 in it

The guy who bought it lives in Singapore, when he flies into Perth he drives it around then it goes back in storage. Haven't seen it in the road for some time.

Looking forward to my 60 arriving and rebuilding it with my dad and son. Many memories with the old 58 here.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Poker Run 2010

Michael, that is quite the post! Bill posted that information about that unusual 1958 Squarebird more than 7 years ago! Thanks for bringing us up to date on that '58 of your Grandfather and why it was decked out as it was/is! That is quite the story! Thanks for sharing it with us! It certainly adds to the history that we were unaware of regarding that unusual Tbird! The latter part of the story regarding the present owner is also quite interesting. I would be neat to find out of your Grandpa's old '58 is till around!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Wyldie
                      Apprentice
                      • Dec 22 2016

Yeah I know the post was quite old I was going through all the "our rides" posts checking out everyones beautiful birds.

I'm sure the car will pop its head up one day! Though it has always made me wonder, if the owner was to pass on and lives overseas what becomes of his property here if it is not claimed?

Wouldn't mind having 2

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎