This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road
Default Squarebird at Speed

I came across this video of recent racing at Goodwood in the UK. In the classic touring class you will see a 59 Thunderbird dicing it up with some imports and a Studebaker! Check it out at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E20Smm8gl1g
Carl
Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool. It's probably not an ideal car for road racing.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Super-Experienced

Here is another video that shows the '59 a little more prominently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ser-fqlT22M
Old 09-13-2017, 02:13 PM

I was wondering how long it would take before he was black flagged for the exhaust pipe dragging.

John

Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Here is another video from the cockpit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPe4A0FSO0
Notice the stock wheel and horn ring.
Carl
Old 09-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Squarebird at Speed

Thanks for posting these, Carl! They are fun to watch. It was interesting to seen the interior of the car, with OEM steering wheel, the extra gauges where the AC vent would be, and the stick shifting. Many people do not know or have forgotten that when the 430MEL came out the Squarebird was used in stock car racing and did very well for itself back then. There were some famous races with it acquitting itself quite well in them. I think I have reported on that in the Thunderbird History Forum. There is one, that I know of, replica left of one of the racing Squarebirds that is on display these days.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-13-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Looks like he had his hands full using that big steering wheel.

John

Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

mh434 is on a distinguished road

I've got some stills from the weekend that I will post tomorrow.unfortunately it cooked its clutch during qualifying on Friday and had another issue on Sunday. I take my hat off to Bill Shepherd for preparing the car and bringing it to Goodwood. I can assure you that a lot of time and expense went into it. And as for the noise.....the gods of thunder themselves....

Jon
1960 Hardtop T'bird
1961 Hotchkiss M201
Ex-Army Land Rover
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

[quote=YellowRose; Many people do not know or have forgotten that when the 430MEL came out the Squarebird was used in stock car racing and did very well for itself back then. There were some famous races with it acquitting itself quite well in them. I think I have reported on that in the Thunderbird History Forum. There is one, that I know of, replica left of one of the racing Squarebirds that is on display these days.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this example doesn't provide the opportunity to revisit the performance potential (from the historical perspective) of the MEL engine , as this vehicle sports an FE of some derivative with contemporary components.

Scott.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Been out of the loop for a while and catching up on some reading.

THANKS CARL !!!!!

Went to the Bill Shepherd Mustang Facebook page but couldn't get much info on the drive train. I don't do Facebook so just what I could see via the laptop.

Having owned and worked on British cars all my driving years I absolutely love that video of the old Yank Tank blowing by all the British cars. If I ever win the lottery I'll have to build one like that. My favorite part was passing the Mk1 Jaguar - looked like jet wash behind the Tbird - Oh man was that great.

Too bad he was black flagged but necessary for track safety.

Take a look at my Avatar - I got to run mine on a tight track one time - loads of fun.

Eric