• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Checking Brakes

Question!

Is there a way I can visually check my brakes/brake pads to make sure they are ok? Would I have to take it to be looked at or is it something I can do myself without removing the wheels?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately you have to remove the wheels and brake drums to check the brakes. The fronts usually involve removing the wheel bearings to get the drums off. Unless you like dirty work and dealing with heavy wheels and drums it's probably best left to someone else.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Thanks will probably leave that to somebody else then! If they had to be replaced any idea what that run$?

Hoping not necessary. Brakes were squealing yesterday at every light. Had not done that prior.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shoes themselves will cost about $40 if you need both front and rear. Normally the fronts wear out faster than the rears. You also have to figure in labor to install them and extra if the drums need to be machined. Figure around $250 to do all four and half that if it's only the fronts. However squealing isn't always an indication of wear.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Ok could be worse. Thank you for that.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡