X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sjp3003
    Apprentice
    • Jul 17 2016

New Member Intro

Greetings my name is Steve and I am purchasing a disassembled '66 Landau TBird in Santo Domingo and embarking on a journey to rebuild it as a family cruiser and local vintage event ride.

A good friend sold the car 15 years ago. He contacted me because the current owner disassembled the car to have it painted over 1 year ago and lost interest in the project.

I will be collecting the car this week in Santo Domingo and transporting it as-is to a shop in a tiny town called Salcedo to have it painted and rebuilt. Unfortunately this car will not be numbers matching as the engine has been replaced by a newer tbird engine.

My objectives are to :

1. Get the car in great shape in its original colors in terms of its interior and exterior

2. Make sure it is mechanically sound to participate in local vintage car events and family cruises on weekends

3. Get the AC working well (it had AC) and update the sound system with a vintage-looking head unit.

I am undertaking this project together with an equally optimistic and foolhardy friend. I anticipate we will need to source parts over the coming months...for starters a replacement front grill, rear view mirrow, new radial whitewalls and other items.

This journey is just beginning and having had a classic car in the past (1972 Maserati Merak) I know it will be a long one and the community here will be a valuable resource, a source of encouragement and a gateway to new and great acquaintances.

Steve

PS I will post pics as soon as I get some myself!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Steve,

Glad to have you as a member. Hopefully your experience restoring your '66 will be a fun and rewarding one. The good news is that most parts for your car are readily available either used, new or reproduction. I'm not sure how much of a problem shipping is going to be where you are located. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. 1966 Thunderbirds were rather advanced for their time especially if yours has all the power options that were available. If you don't have a shop manual that should be your first purchase. They are available in either book form, on cd or via download. Again welcome and we're looking forward to hearing from you on your progress.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Sjp3003
      Apprentice
      • Jul 17 2016

Thanks very much for John. I just ordered a shop manual and a restoration guide. It's great to know we should be able to source parts...this was one of the reasons I was keen to go ahead with this car wothout being sure everything is there.

Steve

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Member Intro

Steve, I forgot to tell you that when ordering parts, keep in mind that Rock Auto is a member of this Forum and gives Forum Members a 5% discount on online orders. The Discount Code is in the Advertisements Forum. So if you order from them, provide them with that code. Most other Tbird parts houses do NOT provide a discount, unless you order over say, $1000 in parts at one time, in some cases.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎