Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Packer
    • Sep 1 2013

1965 Thunderbird Power Steering Gearbox Trouble

I can't figure this one out, unless its a sheared bolt? The power steering gearbox on my 1965 Thunderbird is moving (a LOT). All 3 mounting bolts are tight, all 3 bushings are present. All shift tube bushings and insulators are present. All steering mounting bolts are tight. Any ideas what could cause this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Here's a link to a video:

1965 Thunderbird Power Steering Gearbox is loose. All 3 mounting bolts are tight. All 3 bushings are present. Shift Tube has all nylon bushings and insula...
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Looked at the video - wow, STOP doing that, DON'T drive it!

A broken casting/mounting lug?

A chunk of the frame ripping out?

Whatever, it's danged serious matey!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
      Looked at the video - wow, STOP doing that, DON'T drive it!..
      I saw the vid and I agree. Have your car towed to a frame & body repair shop. Your steering box should be solid as a rock. I have NEVER seen one come loose aside from being in a collision. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Max Packer
        • Sep 1 2013

I Think the Rubber Mounts are the Problem

With everything I can inspect is looking solid, I believe the rubber mounts are most likely at fault. The metal mounting surface is solid. No rust or cracks. The box itself has no cracks or breaks. It is most likely that the rubber mounts have come apart. Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Max Packer
          ...It is most likely that the rubber mounts have come apart...
          There are NO rubber parts. The box is solid to the frame because it has to be. Take Tom's and my advice. Do NOT drive the car. If you cannot find this major problem with your steering, tow the car to a good mechanic. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Max Packer
            • Sep 1 2013

1965 Thunderbird Steering Gear Box Mounting Pads

These are the rubber mounts I'm referring to. I will also try to take a photo of them in my car if I can get a clear enough view.

Absolutely, as recommended, I will NOT be driving the car, and indeed it WILL be off to a qualified mechanic, as I don't possess the proper facility & tools required to do the job. Thank you for the advice, I do appreciate it.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Kevin, the torque on those bolts is 35-50ft/lbs. (times three bolts). That's tight. If the pads were made of rubber, any kind of cushion would be squashed out. The pads are there to ensure proper surface area for the steering gear. I'm looking in my parts catalogs and nowhere does it say they are rubber, so I don't think they are. They are probably donuts of steel.

So, why does the whole gear box flex at all? Is part of your frame rusted out? Can you have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the steel structure?

Whatever the cause, even if it requires new replacement steel, that can be easily welded in. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Max Packer
                • Sep 1 2013

I know the purpose of the insulators is to dampen any vibration from the road from the steering wheel. The insulators themselves have steel components either surrounded by, or joined together by rubber, which is known to fail over time. They are surprisingly difficult to find much information on. Here are a couple of links that show & describe the insulators:

Comment

• Max Packer
                  • Sep 1 2013

From Mac's Thunderbird Parts:

This is the steel encased rubber mount from the gearbox to the frame. Always check these when you are changing the gearbox, vague steering can be a symptom of bad insulators.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I'm learning something new, here. Those center bolts look awfully small to support a steering box from. They also look too small to withstand 50 ft/lbs of torque. I guess that could be the cause of your steering box coming loose. I would have to forego that mounting in favor of the method Ford used in 1964.

As far as dampening vibrations from the road, that is what the rag joint (coupling) does. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Max Packer
                      • Sep 1 2013

Yep, new to me too. I learn as I go.

Agreed. I'm considering replacing my failed mounts with solid ones to avoid this problem again. I spoke to a mechanic who is very aware of this problem, and knows of the solid aftermarket mounts.

Here's a photo of the rubber insulator:

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎