'36 assembly line

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

'36 assembly line

Hey Guys,
    My buddy Eddie sent this to me! This is not about Thunderbirds but I sit here watching with my bottom jaw on the floor. This is amazing for 1936!!! ENJOY!

Richard D. Hord
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

video

That is awesome video,it was neat to watch.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Thanks for the cool video, Rich. This is a video of different plants in Flint, MI. The car is a Buick

They start by pressing frame members into a "U", in a Frame Plant. Notice that all frame members were riveted (something we rarely see any more).

Then, a guy flipping a painted truck frame with suspension and a fuel tank. Then, they show a frame on the line with guys doing truck suspension. The drums have six lugs. The video editor got the sequence backwards. Back then, the engine & trans were directly mounted on the frame. Squarebird engines & trans were stuffed into a finished unibody. Today, we raise the engine & trans from underneath.

Stamping Plant: I've never seen four guys on one press before. Look at all the manpower (no women in this video) to stamp fenders and roof tops. Believe me, it's loud. Maybe half the guys are wearing eye protection, no ear protection. Good Lord, the Metal Finisher is feeling for imperfections through a heavy leather glove! The Spot Welder is working with a BARE HAND!

Back to the Assembly Plant... Hey Ray Clark, notice they use heavy blankets on the painted fenders? It took four guys to deck the body because each guy grabbed a hoist hook on the way up, so it wouldn't mar the finish or break glass. Today, Body Decking machines work alone. Wait a minute... these wheels have five lugs.

Oops, I guess we went from Flint, Michigan to sunny California in the last scene. Tile roofs freeze and break here, so we don't have any. The video was fun to watch because all the automation was mechanical or manual actions and it was surprisingly clear.
      Last edited by simplyconnected; August 5, 2011, 01:14 AM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎