X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Master cylinder distribution block cracked

Today wanted to fill the brake master cylinder, and soon found a slight leak coming from the banjo bolt which connects the distribution block to the master cylinder. Changed the seals again, but still leaking. Then when inspecting all parts for burs, i found a hair crack in the distribution block, caused by tightening the brake pressure switch too much. The block seems to be made from bronze. Is it possible to solder this? If not, where can i get a new (used) block?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Since it is brass or bronze it would definitely be possible to silver solder it, but lead solder is weak and would fail. I have put fittings together before and never had a problem or leak.
    Also, new ones are available from our Thunderbird parts suppliers.

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Macs Auto Parts has the brass block for $22. Part number is 66-30936-1. They also have the special bolt and washer if needed.
      Nyles
      Attached Files

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

Thanks guys. I will see if i can find someone who can do a temporary repair on the block i have, at least i can drive around a bit, but i will order a new part for safety reasons.
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

I would never try to repair a brake part. Since you are in Brazil, shipping will kill you. A generic combination valve with adjustable pressure to the rear brakes may be available locally.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

This one has been rattling around in my brake parts stash for years. It's from my '55 but I will never need it again since I'm using Granada disk brakes and a dual reservoir M/C.

It only has one IFF port but you can always use a tee for your brake switch. Let me know in a PM if you want it.

I'm so embarrassed with the USA Swim team's antics in Brazil, I'm going to offer it to you for FREE. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Originally posted by Yadkin
              I would never try to repair a brake part. Since you are in Brazil, shipping will kill you. A generic combination valve with adjustable pressure to the rear brakes may be available locally.
              So or the shipping will kill me, or the failing brake part.
              Don´t know this combination valve, will it fit directly to the master cylinder? At a certain point i probably will modernise the brake system with dual master cylinder, but not now.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                This one has been rattling around in my brake parts stash for years. It's from my '55 but I will never need it again since I'm using Granada disk brakes and a dual reservoir M/C.

It only has one IFF port but you can always use a tee for your brake switch. Let me know in a PM if you want it.

I'm so embarrassed with the USA Swim team's antics in Brazil, I'm going to offer it to you for FREE. - Dave
                Thanks for the offer Dave, a pitty that this block doesn´t have the pressure switch option. I will think about it.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎