This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Sounds good to me!! I have sent an email to Alan Tast. Hopefully we will hear from him soon.
Greg
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 AM

nzmuzza is on a distinguished road

when was the first squarebird produced?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

http://automotivemileposts.com/prod1958tbird.html

'58 production dates.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

My cousin works at the Detroit Historical Museum and has access to a lot of information. I'll see if she can find out about any pictures or information that Ford may have relative to the last Squarebird.

Vern
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Last squarebird??

Hi Vernz!

That would be great! I know that Greg would certainly appreciate it and it would be terrific to have the last Squarebird off the line validated by Ford, just as they did the first Thunderbird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Ok,
Hope I have not board to death everyone on this topic. I just got done talking to Alan Tast and unfortunately there is no way (at this time) to be able to say (by actual Ford documentation) that my car is the last one. There are many things that point that way, but no definative proof. The ROT sheet would help, but alas there is not one I can find on the car. He tends to agree with what Phil Skinner said about the numberical order of the cars going down the line (or lack there of) and that the lighter color cars were done last in the day. The door panel writting is not enough for rock solid proof. So there you go!!! It has been fun, informative and a little frustrating. I guess How I posted this topic is how the car needs to be labeled: "Last Squarebird?" Have a good one everyone and THANK YOU for all the info given. Now lets get out there and drive our birds!!! (wait, oops, mines still in the paint shop!)
Greg
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey Greg,

At this point & time your'e obviousley dissapointed not knowing 100% but remember, the Fat Lady hasn't sung yet & untill she does there is still a possibility.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
snip

Another interesting thing is that the California Registration form is dated 10/20/60! That is a week from time it came off the line to the day it was registered in California! Interesting again!

snip
I would only add that maybe you were not entirely clear on what I wrote and may want to consider that the car did not come off of the line when you assume it did. The date on the door tag has nothing to do with when a car is actually built, it is the day a car is scheduled to be built when the order was received. that order could easily be 30, 60, or even 90 days old (actually July 1968 428 SCJ Mustang orders were all held until October at the earliest!). Because they really have no idea how orders will come in and how various factors can affect batch building, it is very possible that cars can be built months ahead or behind schedule. Unfortunately with 1966 and older cars we can't do much to reasearch on this but with the records that Ford gave to Kevin Marti we can see the 1967 and newer builds very clearly and can see how the pogram actually worked. Below I have linked to an 1969 428 SCJ Mustang Marti report so you can see what I am talking about. On the right hand side it shows the order was received on 7/31/68 and at that time the serial number was assigned and it was scheduled to be assembled on 10/02/68. Unfortunately for that likely frustrated and angry dealer, the car was not actually built until 12/11/1968 and was then sold on 1/03/69! Unless you have a gate release for that Tbird you have no way to verify the actual build date. It is not impossible that a car built in Wixom could get to a California dealer, get sold and get registered in a week but it certainly is highly unlikely just due to the time it takes California DMV to process paperwork (back then it was all manual with paperwork being mailed to Sacramento and back to the owner! Even today it usually takes longer than a week to process DMV paperwork). Hawkrod

Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

One more note to help people understand, I see mentioned on the web site that the blue on the driveshaft is noted as an inspection mark. The blue stripe on the driveshaft is not an inspection mark, it is an ID paint stripe. Things like driveshafts and springs came in several different configurations such as different engines and transmissions requiring different length driveshafts or different options such as AC requiring heavier springs etc... to make it easier and less confusing on the assembly line, these common parts, that had several versions, were marked in such a way to ID them easily. If you look at a build sheet under springs or driveshaft it will have a color code that should correspond to the color of the part. That is how cars were built. You have to understand that assembly line workers were not trained craftsman, they were day laborers with a permanent job. They did not need rocket scientists, it was a menial task to build a car. The build sheet would note a blue stripe driveshaft so that was what the guy pulled and installed. That was the specific reason for a build sheet. Below is a build sheet I have linked to from a later Tbird built at Wixom. You will note that some parts will list numbers and some colors or letter codes. If it is a single color then that is what you will see, if it is letters then they represent a series of color marks. Numbers are abreviations of the numbers that will appear on the part. Using the sheet below, we see that the shocks are green so we would see either all green or more likely something like black with a green mark on the original shocks, BU GN on the driveshaft would translate to blue and green stripes (BA is black BR is brown etc... BL is too confusing because it could be black or blue), and finally the 8SEC for the fan would actually translate to a C8SE-8600-C engineering number. Hawkrod

Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Last Squarebird??

Thanks, Hawkrod, for providing us with additional information on how things were done at Wixom. It gives us further insight into how the production line was run, and what the line workers went through to build a car. It has all been interesting and fascinating reading. Thanks for the explanation of the ROT sheet also. I am sure we are all learning a lot from this thread! I know I am!

It was Kevin Marti, as I recall, that I talked with last year when I tried to gain more information regarding my '59 Tbird. That is when I found out that when he got the records of the Tbirds, he did not get those from 1966 back, for whatever reason. If we could only find out where those records went to... What a treasure trove that would be..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm