X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

carb choke with headers?

I'm running the after market headers on my 352 with the autolite carb. Is there any way to hook up the choke with the new header set up vs exhaust manifolds? With a pump of the gas it starts right up, I think this carb has an automatic choke and I would love to have it set up if possible. Any suggestions or comments. Thank you, Dan 60 Hardtop
  • KULTULZ

Electric Choke

You can buy for the 4100 an electric choke setup. The heat riser tubes are not used.

Does this application have an alternator or generator?

Comment

• danowens3
      Experienced
      • Dec 29 2005

RE: Electric Choke

Thank you for the suggestion. I am using the stock generator in my set up and it works well.

Comment

• Hawkrod
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2005

RE: Electric Choke

Just go buy some 1/4 copper tubing and make a loop down to a header pipe and back up to the carb. You can clamp the tube to the header pipe with a hose clamp although I am real stubborn and wrapped the tube around the pipe for one loop and wrapped it with a piece of header tape (much cleaner looking). At the top you just use a flare or a compression fitting depending on what style choke you have and the other end is a vent that either hangs out in the air or hooks to the vent line on your carb if it has one. Hawkrod

Comment

• KULTULZ

Crude Choke Stove

>the other end is a vent that either hangs out in the air or hooks to the vent line on your carb if it has one.

HAWKROD,

The other side of the tube is sucking air to supply the heated air. It needs to be filtered as that air is introduced into the carburetor.

I find it hard to believe that someone as yourself would recommend such a crude setup. At least fashion a choke stove at the tubes and bend steel tubing to simulate the OEM appearance.

You're not going senile on me are you? :-(

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

RE: Crude Choke Stove

I hate to point this out but that is how Ford did it early on and up into the 60's on PI's The volume of air is so small that I guess they decided a filter was not needed back in those days. The later PI's did get a filter on the end of the tube. I only recomended that he do as it was originally designed, either hooked to the carb or left hanging. I do not know which is correct for his application. Hawkrod

Comment

• KULTULZ

RE: Crude Choke Stove

You know, I remember HOOKER (I think it was) making a choke stove for the heated air intake (air cleaner snorkel). You would think someone made a similiar smaller stove for this feature. The tube kits are available or could be made up. Make one nice detailed installation.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎