No announcement yet.

Wood floor welding-don't tell me I'm nuts-I already kno

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood floor welding-don't tell me I'm nuts-I already kno

My “shop” is a wood barn with a wood floor.

I need to repair the rockers as well as parts of the mini-frame. Everyone tells me to do this work in the yard because there will be welding involved. I will be using a 110v box and MIG welding.

I am beginning to think that I should do it in the barn. Summers are to short here (Vermont) and I am not sure I will be able to set the car, make the repairs, and get it back in the barn before it’s time to put it up. If I do this in the barn it can sit all winter (assuming the barn is still standing) at what ever point I get to. This is not the only project I have going on (and some people in the family unit think some of the other ones are more important) so my time is limited to work on it.

I am thinking that if I lay down “cement board” on the floor and cover it with sheet-metal or blankets as well as protecting the walls up 4’ around where I'm welding, I should be able to control any spatter. I would also want to have someone there for “fire watch” just to keep track of any stray sparks.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

RE: Wood floor welding-don't tell me I'm nuts-I already

If you are really concerned about it, I would make an investment in a welding blanket and maybe a welding screen. You can get both of these through places like Grainger. These blankets are made out of fiberglass. They can also be used for other things but since they are flame retardant and withstand tempatures of up to 1000 degrees this makes them really good for welding. The screens you would stand up beside the car to keep the rest of the barn from catching. A fire gaurd is a good idea I would also suggest that you stop welding at least five minutes or more before you go back to the house. We call this a hot watch. The best thing you could do though is to clean up around the car. If you store hay in your barn I would not suggest welding anywhere near it.(Been there before.) And of course keep a good tri-class mono-ammonium phosphate fire extinguisher present. I would not recommend using a carbon dioxide extinguisher for in your barn.

Brian Costello

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I have been debating sheetmetal vs. blankets and probably will end up with a combination.

I have thought of having someone there to watch for problems while welding, and hanging about for at least half an hour after stoping (hour if I could stand it). Someone also suggested stoping fairy early in the day as well so you (and neighbors) would still be up and around helping with discovery if something goes wrong.

Housekeeping was also suggested by another so I guess I need to watch that closely.

My barn used to be a carriage barn with horses, etc. before autos. I no longer store hay in it, which is a good thing.

I have worked with contractors welding in wood structures a lot so I know it can be done if controlled - just seems to defy logic.

What is a "tri-class mono-ammonium phosphate fire extinguisher"? Is that a fancy way of saying ABC? I have water in the barn and would probably have a garden hose hitched up.

Comment

Its also a good idea to have a bunch of wet/damp towels to spread around on the floor...........and to drape over areas on the car that you dont want sparks to hit. They also are nice to have to blot your welds and cool the metal down to keep it from warping. Welding supply shops also sell a spray that you use to keep spatter down. I worked with my father when younger as a fire-watcher when the pipe-fitters were at work. Keep your work are as clean as possible and NEVER weld alone if you can ...........and dont weld without an extinguisher within reach. When I welded on my bird..........especially underneath.......I kept a spray bottle of water handy just in case. One day the undercoating started smoking and after a few squirts..........no more..........hope any of this helps

Comment

OK, so I'm pretty much set to do this.

I am beginning to think that the cement board under the sheet metal may be a bit much. It will cost about 100 bucks to buy. I am thinking the money would be better spent on blankets which can be moved around as needed.

I have my eye on a 8' by 12' scrapped galvanized containment pan (never had anything in it) that I am thinking of just laying down on the floor under the car and adding sheetmetal and blankets to what it doesn't cover as needed for protection...

Comment

Well I put my car back in the barn this past weekend on sheetmetal.

The pan that I used is about 9' wide and long enough to extend about 2' past the wheels. It's a start. I will need to get more for the floor. I have some roof decking that I can hang on the walls or to make walls around it.

I think this is it for this year. I had hoped to jack it up and set it, but that's not going to happen.

Oh well...

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎