X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juantejeda
    Experienced
    • May 7 2004

Using Air Shocks

I have a weak leaf spring on my 59 Squarebird. Can anyone give me some input on using air shocks to bring up the side that is sagging? I am planning on putting air shocks on the rear and using separate air lines so that I can adjust the sagging side. Will this work?
    TJ
    Thunderbird Registry #7960
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Sure it works. Depending on the ride you're looking for, you may want to pressurize only one side.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Hi

Yes, it'll work, but not ideal. Unless you use an onboard compressor you'll be lookig for gas stations so you can add air to the shocks, and running a car with more air pressure in one shock than the other, on the same axle, affects ride and handling. Not a lot, granted, but it's not the best situation. I'd recommend that you pull the springs and have a spring shop reset them, or make new ones if required. It'll be a little more costly, but not a lot more than buying new air shocks, lines, and plumbing the system in.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Alistair is right, new springs are the best solution on many levels.

But if this is an economic issue, a simple shim will work and it's practically free.

Air shocks will cost around $80/pair.

New leaf springs cost about $200.

If you pop for the new springs, your ride will improve dramatically and you can save the cost of the air shocks. Install a set of gas shocks and new tires, and your ride will be like new.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by juantejeda
          I have a weak leaf spring on my 59 Squarebird. Can anyone give me some input on using air shocks to bring up the side that is sagging? I am planning on putting air shocks on the rear and using separate air lines so that I can adjust the sagging side. Will this work?
          You could always make sure you have a lighter person on the weak side?

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Petrolhead
            Hi

Yes, it'll work, but not ideal. Unless you use an onboard compressor you'll be lookig for gas stations so you can add air to the shocks, and running a car with more air pressure in one shock than the other, on the same axle, affects ride and handling. Not a lot, granted, but it's not the best situation. I'd recommend that you pull the springs and have a spring shop reset them, or make new ones if required. It'll be a little more costly, but not a lot more than buying new air shocks, lines, and plumbing the system in.
            What he said!

Plus shock mounts are not designed to completely support the weight of the car some 50 years down the track...
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎