X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Improved Search Features

Why when i search do I get this message?

"The search term you specified (air) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific".
    Last edited by YellowRose; July 11, 2016, 10:33 PM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Search

Try doing your search with " " around it. Such as "oil filters". Or whatever it is you are searching for. We realize that our Search engine is not the greatest, but it will work.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Martin, as Ray noted, our search engine is not very good. I know some of the rules but not all. One restriction is, the word needs at least four letters UNLESS you use the asterisk or quotes. Ray's example will produce posts with OIL or FILTERS, and OIL FILTERS. * is a wildcard which represents any number of letters.

Example:
      • 'oil pan' produces that same message. Evidently the search looks at the first word, 'oil' and determines it is too short.
      • 'oilpan' produces results for that word, not 'oil pan'.
      • 'oil*' returns real examples with 'oils' or 'oiler' or 'oiling', etc., somewhere in the post.
      Try it.

Here's another example: cam*
      When you search, pick a thread with like six posts. Then hit Control-F, which means, 'find'. In the 'find box' type cam and hit enter. Now, scroll down and see where all the examples of 'cam..' are used.
      Last edited by simplyconnected; July 3, 2016, 03:12 AM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Thanx Dave...Ray's suggestion worked. I was looking up air conditioning. All is good.
        The other forum I am on is for sailboats called http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/
        They have ads for non-members so I think that pays for the upgrades. I'm sure it's a major PITA changing over though.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

Go to Google.com and put this in the search field:

site:www.squarebirds.org air

That will give you all pages at squarebirds.org with "air" in them (over 3,000!).
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

What a great idea Doug. Good way to get around the limitations of our search engine. Why didn't I think of that???

Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Search

Doug, what a great idea! We never thought of using that technique in Google search to come up with things like that! I hope a lot of our users see this and put it to good use! That gives us another way to search on this Forum! Thanks very much for posting this!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

Your welcome. The format works on any site:

site:[URL] [search term]

I use it frequently on sites with no search or a poor search function.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎